1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Mixing Hypurin Porcine and Fiasp in a pump. Any help?

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by ronialive, Aug 8, 2019.

?

have you mixed 2 different insulin in a pump vial

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ronialive

ronialive Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone. I used Hypurin Porcine in my pump for about 5 years and then Christmas time changed onto Fiasp.
    Although my control is better I have gained a stone in weight since. I have been going to weight watcher for 2 years and HAD lost 50 pounds so am finding it devastating. I gained the weight due to a spinal injury that needs surgery. I cannot have the surgery because I gained weighed. I struggle to lose the weight cos I need the surgery- if you get the picture.

So I read at some point- but cannot find the post- of someone who used to mix 2 different insulins in his pump vial to get the response he wanted. I wondered how it would work to have a small amount of Fiasp to speed up the response of the porcine whilst mostly being animal may not affect the weight.?
    Not saying I am going to do it but wondered is there someone who does?
    If so how do you ensure the exact same amount of each, each time you mix it?

What are the problems that go with this or was it excellent?

thanks in advance

2. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

3. ronialive

Hi Scott, that was indeed the article I read.
    I am not looking for medical approval just information and advice. Is there any reason that mixing analogue Fiasp with Hypurin Porcine Neutral would cause one to kill the other or a toxic mix. I don't believe so but don't know everything obviously. I am a nurse so used to off label

4. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi, ronialive, sorry, making "insulin cocktails" is not something I know much about either!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ronialive

I know a few people have previously said they do this in their pump

6. ronialive

7. Sideburnt

Sideburnt Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I mix 50 / 50. NovoRapid / Fiasp. The jury is still out whether I should bother, I don't seem to have brought back the rapid onset that I enjoyed with Fiasp int he first few months of use. Roll on Lispro.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook