Mixtard 30

kipper

Hello,

I would like some feedback / opinion on my current medication and whether or not people think it would be worth my while looking into different insulin regimes.

I was diagnosed in November 2006 and was put straight onto 2 injections per day of Mixtard30.

One in the morning 18 units
One in the evening typically 20 to 30 units depending on the meal.

Although my HbA1c has always been good over the last couple of years, 5.2 to 6.2 however it is not unusual for my BG level to be 12 or 13 in the evening after my tea, but I don't like to take extra insulin in case my BG drops too low during the night.

I never have Hypos. Am I right to look into other options, or should I just be happy that my HbA1c is within target and be thankfull?

Thanks.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
If it aint broke don't fix it.

It sounds like your doing really well.

Jen.

lilibet

Hi Kipper

It really depends on what you are looking for I suppose and what you are willing/happy to cope with.

If your preference is for less injections and you are happy with the routine, then dont change. It is fairly easy to get a notion of profile of the insulin on the premix (ie times of day to watch etc) and of course if you like snacking then its a god send because it FORCES you to snack to avoid hypos. I too have had only a handful of hypos since dx. HAving a good Hba1c is fine but as you know its a step for a hint and not the whole story as far as control goes. Hitting 12 or 13 after meals is typical of mixtard because you cant dose adjust for your food and stop the highs so you dont have much flexibility for what you eat. I am on 6 and 6 (or 7) u at time and if I over or under eat the carbs then I have to watch whats happening.

I have been on this since dx, with an a1c of 5.1. I have however been asking to change since about week three for the following reasons. These are personal to me so please dont feel swayed by them.

-Lack of flexibility is the main issue
Am sick of eating when I dont want to.
Fed up having to go out 'snack handed' every time i want be out for more than a few hours. Havent been abroad yet but even a weekend away was a night mare, having to constantly watch the time, try to judge restaurants times for serving. Or taking biscuits to pubs with me etc.
Also on days when maybe i just want to have a bit more to eat or a treat - you cant, without having high post prandial bg. On days I want less to eat, I cant

And trying to manage a hangover on premix is something else! No just trying to sleep it off -had to set the alarm to shove a hob nob in your cake hole every three hours ! :lol: I also find it hard to judge for exercise cause you cant work out which bit needs worked out in the same way you can with a basal insulin

I also worry about when Im unwell . You cant correct bg with mixtard becuase there are two insulins floating about at any one time, and the times overlap. Although its not happened to me, I believe it was responsible for many hospital admissions because people cant adjust and when unwell end up with high bg/ketones etc. Know thats a bit doom laden but it worries me that i wont be able to control things when I need to.

And finally., snacking. Weight gan is bad enough as a result of insulin, but when you have to feed your insulin and not your body, then its only a matter of time before it all stacks up. Ive done alright until recently but even on small doses, the weight is creeping up

Still, thats just my personal opinion. Lots of people do like it. Interestingly enough though, Novo market it as a good insulin for Type 2's. Not what a young fairly newish diagnosed Type 1, wants to read. (no offence to type 2's but you know what I mean!)

kipper

Many thanks for the replies, it is much appreciated.

When I found this forum it sounded as if I was very much in the minority using Mixtard 30, so was wondering why others didn't use it. I now understand why different insulin types are better for others.

I have not gained any weight since starting the Mixtard 30, however with a BMI of 30+ its a good job really.