Moderator nominations for 2016 (Nominations close: 31/1/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

anteater2012

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
People who don't listen to others i.e. the 8 members of this forum I have put on ignore as they talk such utter **** all the time. This now includes the member who thinks they are a moderator.
"I love the idea of voting for the mods but my concern is that there should be a balance of people with different types"

Agree with this statement - the mods should indicate T1, T2, Rh etc, and not the status "prefer not to say". If you are ashamed of being a type why are you on a open forum? I ignore people with that status as I feel it gives them the right to tell other types what do without necessarily being that type. Being a T2 I would not dream of telling a T1 what to do.

Reactions: 14 people

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thank you @zand. I totally agree with the nomination of Totto but I concur with @Avocado Sevenfold's comment!

I have too much of a life outside of forums and don't spend enough time here, I'm afraid. Any spare time I do have goes on managing my own company website. Thanks for the vote of confidence, though :) and good luck to you, and everyone else in the race

Reactions: 2 people

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"I love the idea of voting for the mods but my concern is that there should be a balance of people with different types"

Agree with this statement - the mods should indicate T1, T2, Rh etc, and not the status "prefer not to say". If you are ashamed of being a type why are you on a open forum? I ignore people with that status as I feel it gives them the right to tell other types what do without necessarily being that type. Being a T2 I would not dream of telling a T1 what to do.

My concern is that there needs to be mods who can monitor advice given on things like insulin and step in where necessary.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Can't understand myself why anyone would join a diabetes forum then "prefers not to say" what their type is. Yes there must be a mixture of mods with all types of diabetes

Reactions: 6 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't understand myself why anyone would join a diabetes forum then "prefers not to say" what their type is. Yes there must be a mixture of mods with all types of diabetes
I 'prefer not to say' as the titles were added in without any one being asked if we wanted this change !

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thinking about it, I don't think I'd mind the balance of 'types' as moderators After all I don't think someone's type of diabetes would effect their ability to be fair, impartial and diplomatic which I think (in this scenario) is the priority. Xx

I think that's a valid comment on the rudeness or manners front, but less so when someone posts that they have managed to reverse their diabetes by mainlining the 100% potato plan. OK, so that's obviously very extreme, but I do think there should be a mix.
I 'prefer not to say' as the titles were added in without any one being asked if we wanted this change !

You can change it, Enclave, by going to your profile.

@Administrator and @Giverny - When in there just now, I noticed Type 2 features on the list twice? I know there are a lot of us, but........ (Forever the pedant, me. :D)

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Administrator and @Giverny - When in there just now, I noticed Type 2 features on the list twice? I know there are a lot of us, but........ (Forever the pedant, me. :D)

oooh! in that case, can I book the Type 2 repetition be changed to a 'T2 and Reactive Hypoglycaemia' option? At the moment I try and remember to switch back and forth, occasionally.

Yes, it IS all about me! :D

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My concern is that there needs to be mods who can monitor advice given on things like insulin and step in where necessary.

That already happens.

Both Azure and I have type 1 diabetes and monitor such threads, however if you feel that someone is giving bad advice with regards to insulin then you can report it using the Report facility under the members post.

Reactions: 14 people

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Progress encourages progress... one thing at a time.

I hear what you are saying @Administrator and I'm all for progress, but isn't this a missed opportunity to streamline the system?

Is there not a risk that this could create a 2 tier system with the elected mods-v-appointed mods? The elected mods would be very aware of have how much support they have from members, just by virtue of an election, while the appointed mods would be unaware of members' support for them?

Last edited by a moderator:

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@poshtotty .. so why not let the moderators pick from the selected ones ... Wonder if admin has considered this option :)

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I hear what you are saying @Administrator and I'm all for progress, but isn't this a missed opportunity to streamline the system?

Is there not a risk that this could create a 2 tier system with the elected mods-v-appointed mods? The elected mods would be very aware of have how much support they have from members, just by virtue of an election, while the appointed mods would be unaware of members' support for them?

Perhaps, that's a really interesting point. Can we come back on this one? This wasn't the intention but totally understand the sentiment.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps, that's a really interesting point. Can we come back on this one? This wasn't the intention but totally understand the sentiment.
Think is brilliant that we get to put people forward for the roll of moderators.. So as the moderating 'team' is a team ..its seem fair that they should have the final votes.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Think is brilliant that we get to put people forward for the roll of moderators.. So as the moderating 'team' is a team ..its seem fair that they should have the final votes.

Unless under 18, detained at her majesty's pleasure, or a member of the House of Lords.... o_O

Reactions: 5 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Surely they can vote alongside the rest of us when we vote. Isn't that enough? This is the first time the members have had a say in who they would like to moderate them. I am sure if the mods have any doubts about a particular candidate they will be PMing admin already.

@Enclave if you became a mod would you be willing to put your type underneath your avatar?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[

I think it depends on a number of factors, but if @Administrator is looking for some "new blood", in terms of fresh/different perspectives, ideas and/or diabetes types, then if a selection panel (in this case, the Mods picking the Mods) there is a possibility of the existing Mod population choosing people like themselves. I don't necessarily mean in terms of type, but maybe in terms of kindred spirits.

Whilst that all might seem lovely, if Change is desirable, then such a selection could potentially impact on the Change - in terms of pace, direction and not to mention appetite.

Change is uncomfortable, and whatever is decided, and whomever become the new Mods, it won't suit everyone, but it feels to me like some Change would be a good thing, and actually, in my experience of managing (OK, in a professional way) Change, it works best where there are sometimes "robust discussions". It is rare that complete harmony brings Change.

That's just my 2p-worth. At the end of the day, this is the owner's forum, therefore their playing field and they own the rooooolz.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My understanding from a previous post by Administrator is that all the nominations are going to be scrutinised by mods prior to any election taking place. They will already have removed any 'undesirables' at that stage, surely? I also understood from the reply to a previous query that there was to be a 'democratic' election offering all members the oppotunity to vote?

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@poshtotty .. so why not let the moderators pick from the selected ones ... Wonder if admin has considered this option :)
I think this is more or less what they will do isn't it as they are going to vet the nominated candidates as to their suitability to be a mod and choose the ones who will go through to the members vote

Status
Not open for further replies.