MODY DIABETES

nicki

Dislikes
Not being in control of my condition!
Hello to all
Wondered if anyone has any info on MODY. It has been suggested that I might fit the bill but my health centre has said they don't know much about it!!!!!
Have been diagnosed as type 2 but very quick onset last August. Managed to get levels down with Glucophage from 29.5 to 6.5 over a few months but then had relapse and was put on Gliclazide which then pushed levels down to 2.5. I came off that but now back to high levels again. In the end half a Gliclazide was too much! My diabetic nurse has now put me back on it but not working yet.
Am not overweight, aged 42, exercise regularly and diabetes not in my family.
Any thoughts?

Nicki

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi nicki.
New one for me (T2) Your Gp etc still seem like they are walking in the dark. An Endocrinologist as suggested before elsewhere is the best route for you. whatever the GP or Nurse says. !!
this link may answer some questions.
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14047009.php

Ken

EricD

Dislikes
Bullies and sockpuppets. Not being able to eat I want.

nicki

Dislikes
Hi Eric
I agree! Am going to speak to them today and insist they refer me.
Thanks for your help
Nicki

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Nicki,

Sounds like you are spot on when you say your medical team don't know much!! MODY is the acronym for for Maturity Onset Diabetes of the Young and describes the situation where someone under the age of 25 develops type 2 diabetes. It is usually an inherited condition and 5 genes have been identified as causing MODY. The type of MODY inherited will depend on the gene responsible and are labelled as MODY 1 to MODY 5. As you are well over 25, unless you have a family history of MODY, then you are much more likely to have normal type 2 diabetes than MODY.

Have good read around the forum, especially on the various topics that cover carbohydrates and how they affect your blood sugar levels. If you have any questions on how to bring your BS level back down to the good figures you reached before then please fire away.

nicki

Dislikes
Hi Dennis
Thankyou, that makes things a lot clearer. It sounds like it isn't MODY then due to no family history.
Will keep plugging away to get my head around all this!
Nicki

martinbuchan

As it is so overwhelmingly inherited, it coud stuff your offspring chances of ever getting insurance. Be careful. I am a MODY (unofficial). My daughter takes after me, so I need to get her into a way of living that will help prevent earlier hyperglycaemia.

Trinkwasser

That Exeter site is the world leader in studying MODY. It seem an unlikely diagnosis though as it's usually familial.

Is there any family history of cardiovascular disease? At first I thought I might be a MODY candidate but in fact our family history is of insulin resistance in skinny people. Even an athlete in the family has BG problems. One way to tell is if you have "diabetic dyslipidemia" - low HDL, high LDL and sky high trigs. If your lipids and blood pressure are normal I'd be looking at LADA - which is a form of Type 1 with a relatively slow onset.

Either way have a read round Jenny's site, and see how your numbers go if you avoid all those starchy carbs they are so fond of pushing you to eat. Over time I have evolved something highly similar to a Primal diet

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-defi ... ting-plan/

and most of my numbers have normalised

I did this

http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

to guide me in what to eat and what not to eat and at what time of day