Monitoring your numbers

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wanted to ask (as a relative newbie) how people monitor their numbers over time - or if they indeed do?

Given I run my life through my phone is it possible to connect a BG device to an app that keeps track? I'm using a free Gluco Nexus but might change to recommended one here as understand strips cheaper - unless I can convince Doc tomorrow to give me testing strips!

I'm testing 5/7 times a day, it would be good to have this info to view on a graph so I know over time how I am doing. And what causes spikes etc, everything is tracked in MFP.

Sorry if I sound anal - just want to be educated about my health and get this under control.

Thanks for any advice.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I monitor my levels through an application I wrote which runs on my laptop. I used to do it with a spreadsheet but found that too cumbersome for some of the calculations I needed.

Reactions: 2 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I am old and IT illiterate so I don't know anything about all these new-fangled apps and computer stuff. :(
I only test once a day, in the morning, and write the result down in my diary. At the end of the month I add up the daily readings, divide by the number of days in the month, and take that as my average daily figure for that month.
Well I know that's not much help to you. :sorry:

Reactions: 2 people

Ash2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There's the ibg star meter that links with iPhone? Automatically uploads readings to app and displays results on screen. I loved this meter prior to getting a pump

Reactions: 3 people

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use Apple Health, once i take a reading just pop it in the glucose levels section.

As I am also a newbie, I have been using my fitness pal to log my meals which is connected to Apple health so my carbs get automatically added to the carb category. Then you can have a side by side comparison with your glucose. I will post a picture.

eff196def75eef36b38403738e35a18a.jpg

Reactions: 5 people

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use Apple Health, once i take a reading just pop it in the glucose levels section.

As I am also a newbie, I have been using my fitness pal to log my meals which is connected to Apple health so my carbs get automatically added to the carb category. Then you can have a side by side comparison with your glucose. I will post a picture.

eff196def75eef36b38403738e35a18a.jpg

This is it! Love your suggestion, thank you so much

P

paula.nolan42

oooh I like this, but tell me, how do you get MFP to talk to Apple Health ?

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been using an android app called Diabetes:M (found it on Google Play). It's free and very informative. Admittedly you need to enter the data manually, but I just input it in from from my Libre reader. It gives all sorts of graphs, pie charts etc, you can enter BG readings, carb intakes, even where you inject and points on your fingers you use to test! It generates good diaries , along with other data reports, that I can email straight over to my DSN at the hospital to view and report back on. Definitely worth having a look at, I think its great for a freebie.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@paula.nolan42 it is in the settings, sharing and privacy, health kit sharing (anything called HealthKit basically links to Apple Health app). It is basically a storage of you health data from all apps that support it, different apps can read it and write to it. It is a very smart idea.

Reactions: 4 people

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apple Health actually saved me to be honest, as an active person I logged my weight and around the same time as a diet change (trying to get the 5 a day) I noticed I was losing weight, but it kept going down and down so a trip to the GP it was. Oh hi, you have type 1!

Reactions: 8 people

TomGreen101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I use SHealth by Samsung.
I also use My Sugar and Diabetes M for Android. Both allow you to link to phones.
I don't link my Note 4 since you get lots of erratic tests. Most meters also have built-in applications which you can connect to your PC.
My apps also create reports that you can email to healthcare professionals. I prefer the Diabetes M reports.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is also Diasend, most glucose meters and CGM/ pumps can be connected and it gives you a full picture of your results. Its free too!

You can also connect to your clinic (if they use it) so they can look up your stats.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use the 7, 14, 30 and 90 day statistics on my meter, plus I upload data to to the meter's software in my PC for longer term info.

Robbity