Monitoring

DavideB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Question: Has anyone else's Doctor said no need to monitor?

When I did my last test everything was really good. I mean EXCELLENT!! I said I take care in what I eat I try and walk at least 50 minutes a day and a big walk on Sundays . Ye I cheat now and again have a Pizza, So what...

I also told him I check my Bloods most mornings and he said not to bother it's a waste of time... I thought what a ****

Anyone else have same issues with Doctors?

Reactions: 2 people

Dave Brierley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've not even bothered to tell my doctor, she said no to the meter when I asked her for a sript for one, the DN said not to bother testing.

When I when for my 3 month review my doctor said my Hba1c has gone down from 79 to 50 and thats the metformin working for you, I didn't even bother to reply that it really was my diet of low carbs and the checking for spikes that are the reason for the reduction in Hba1c.

As for Pizza, I still have a curry or Chinese every now and then washed down with a lager.

Reactions: 2 people

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately it's a common response, apparently us T2 don't need to test, even though many of us prove that it is the best way to get control.

The NHS is very much about save money today, and someone else can worry about spending tomorrow. So while giving out meters and strips might cost them today and would save money from the reduced number of complications tomorrow they can only see the cost today.

As for me, I have realised that it's my body that will be suffering the complications and that is something I would rather put off as long as possible, preferably until after I have died of something else, I also don't like the idea of self injecting several times a day, I guess I'm a bit of a wimp, so the longer I can keep off injections the better. Fortunately the money I have saved on not buying all the chocolate, biscuits, crisps etc more than pays for the meter and strips.

Reactions: 4 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @DavideB
next appointment ask the doctor if he drives his car without a speedometer ( and watch the silence descend )
it is completely ridiculous to expect people to not test.

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
My meter is my main tool ... it's what has given me control.
Then diet then Metformin.
Doctors are finding it a little difficult to argue about that with me just now as I'm the only T2 they have ever seen that has gotten such good control so quick.

Gabe86

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys here in toronto we either pay or have insurance to pay for the stripes or reader over here how about their where u live .

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Hi guys here in toronto we either pay or have insurance to pay for the stripes or reader over here how about their where u live .
I'm in Wales where all prescriptions are free for everyone.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm over 60, so all my prescriptions are free, too

My meter (self funded) is the most essential tool I have. It tells me what I can't eat, and it also tells me what I can eat, such as a slice of bread or one piece of garlic bread with a meal, or a couple of potatoes, or even a few chips. That makes me a happy bunny with a sustainable eating plan and well controlled blood sugars.

C

chris lowe

At my last check up, the diabetic nurse said not to bother, but I buy my own test strips. I get all my prescriptions free so I figure that I'm saving a fortune on pills etc so don't make a fuss of paying for strips. At least I've got peace of mind that I'm under control