More Amaryl and carb problem

Giblet

Hi there Shygirl,

Do you test your levels at home?. If so do you know how different sorts of carbs effect you?. I know for me I'm ok with Porridge, but potatoes are a big no no. It might be that you could identify the bad carbs and replace them with ones you can tolerate. Do you know why your doctor wants to increase your dose, was your last A1c higher. Also you could talk to the doctor about other medications that do not have the side effects that Glimpiride (amaryl) have such as weight gain. John.x

Giblet

Hi,

It certainly would'nt hurt to weigh your carbs if only so it concentrates your mind on just how much you have. And don't forget the noodles are carbs! good luck let us know how you get on.

ShyGirl

I know the noodles are very carby but there's nothing else to try right now although cauliflower rice looks nice.
I just wish I liked eggs , meat and fish as it'd be so much easier. My body seems to react differently even if I follow the exact same routine , very annoying

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
If you are considering a change back to eating a reduced carb, low GI, reduced portion diet, you might find these links helpful.

The GI Diet

The Glycemic Index

Test and eat and when you find food that spikes your bg level, try the same meal again with half the amount of potatoes/rice/pasta etc if it still spikes you then reduce it further and test again, you will soon find what amounts of potatoes/rice/pasta etc you can enjoy without getting the spikes. Try to substitute all carbs to low or medium GI where possible.

Try combining a high GI food with a low GI food you may be OK with that.

Good luck

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
ShyGirl said:
I know the noodles are very carby but there's nothing else to try right now although cauliflower rice looks nice.
I just wish I liked eggs , meat and fish as it'd be so much easier. My body seems to react differently even if I follow the exact same routine , very annoying

Cauliflower rice may look nice, buts tastes awful! :( I love cauliflower boiled, but did try grating and using as rice and found it very,very bland. Perhaps adding some fried onions and garlic may add some flavour, you could even add a few tablespoons of basmati rice to give it a authentic flavour! :) As always, remember to test afterwards.

A good tip I discovered when eating a low-gi diet, was by adding balsamic vinegar to your food when cooking, helps lower the gi value of your meal, likewise vinegarette dressings used on food also has the same effect. Take a look at the links that Sid has provided, I am sure there will be some useful info there.

Nigel

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
If you are thinking of trying grated cauliflower you can make it less bland by adding herbs/spices.

I use a little coriander and cumin if I am serving it with curry and even ground pepper and ground salt helps. I have used a little chopped mint or chopped parsley and even chopped chives at different times and they all make it taste different. Vive le difference!! 8) :D

Herman lausan

I take 3 mg. of Amaryl and I am losing weight. I have lost over 50 pounds. But the catch here is I exercise 1 1/2 hours a day . 7 days a week. Rain or shine. Hows your exercise program ? I nordic walk. Thats walking with two ski poles . I use plain ol' wooden sticks. So , maybe start that exercise program today.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Another point is stick with the plan and use smaller plates.
If you reduce your portions, you will feel hungry to begin with, but you will get used to it.
Start by trying with a smaller plate. One of my gym class members[not a diabetic] has lost loads of weight by serving meals on a tea plate and now can't manage the kind of portions he used to eat.[He's a retired chef :( ]
I eat sparingly too and have put aside my 27cm plates and use 25cm ones for Sunday lunch and teaplates for most meals.
I eat quite a lot of fat and nowadays am never hungry.