More cheese please

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was really impressed with a truffle brie from our local farm shop the other day, so will be getting more for our Christmas platter . Hubby requested a Caerphily and have found some of that at the farm shop too.
Now I just need recommendations for a blue cheese. I like Stilton but is there anything better anyone would recommend?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Now I just need recommendations for a blue cheese. I like Stilton but is there anything better anyone would recommend?
There are so many different blue cheeses, catering to different palates and cravings. Just try them all!
Danish blue is one of the strongest and sharpest, perfect if you want to make a strong blue cheese sauce. Gorgonzola has a distinctive different taste than both stilton and Danish blue, and it comes in milder and stronger varieties. (I like them all.)
One of the blue cheeses I love most is the Italian one with alternating layers of gorgonzola and mascarpone. In the Netherlands it's called gormas but I have no idea if this is the same in the UK.
Another favourite is the hard cheeses, either from cow milk or goat. Very tasty too.
And I like the very soft and mild brie-like blue cheeses as well.

Nothing wrong with a blue cheese taste testing platter for christmas, right?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was really impressed with a truffle brie from our local farm shop the other day, so will be getting more for our Christmas platter . Hubby requested a Caerphily and have found some of that at the farm shop too.
Stilton varies a lot but a good one is excellent. The Long Clawston Stilton is very good but I think it is exclusive to Waitrose. My favourite blue cheeses are Gorgonzola and Roquefort.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lidl's do two Gorgonzola, one slightly stronger, I use them in a double cream sauce with rare steaks.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are so many different blue cheeses, catering to different palates and cravings. Just try them all!
Danish blue is one of the strongest and sharpest, perfect if you want to make a strong blue cheese sauce. Gorgonzola has a distinctive different taste than both stilton and Danish blue, and it comes in milder and stronger varieties. (I like them all.)
One of the blue cheeses I love most is the Italian one with alternating layers of gorgonzola and mascarpone. In the Netherlands it's called gormas but I have no idea if this is the same in the UK.
Another favourite is the hard cheeses, either from cow milk or goat. Very tasty too.
And I like the very soft and mild brie-like blue cheeses as well.

Nothing wrong with a blue cheese taste testing platter for christmas, right?
I'm the only blue cheese eater in our household, so would only manage 1, but still some nice ideas thank you

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm the only blue cheese eater in our household, so would only manage 1, but still some nice ideas thank you
Cashel blue is my fave it’s a soft cheese I buy from local deli I’m not keen on harsher more ‘ammonia like’flavours in cheeses like Gorgonzola

Last edited: