More confusion!

dib

Can anyone shed any light on these changing targets for me?
I had been reduced carbing for a couple of years and had got my hba1c down to 6.5 from over 9 by diet, exercise and post meal testing - non of the oral meds worked for me. DN was very happy about this however levels started creeping up about a year ago and the decision was made to put me on small doses of humalog mix 25 twice a day, levels came back down to 6.5 and the DN says that this is too low for someone on insulin and should be between 7 and 7.5, this seems too high for me and I am not comfortable that this the way to go. The reason seems to be the danger of getting too many lows but I am very hypo aware, it is something that I have lived with all my adult life even pre diagnosis and make sure I have something on me to compensate at all times.
Also I am now being told that 2 hour post meal readings are not a reliable indication of diabetes?? and only premeal and fasting levels should be noted, this does not make sense to me as after three to four hours post meal and first thing in the morning my levels are often in the non diabetic range.
Anyone out there able to clarify things for me or are these changing targets something I need to ignore and just go for the one that i am happy with? :problem:

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
My nurse and consultant both advised me that a variety of readings was best but that pre-meal were the most important. Not totally sure why.

elaine77

I got told fasting was the most important....for diagnosing! Certainly not in general?? I don't understand that at all because being diabetic revolves around food so surely testing after meals to see how your body is coping with food is what you need to do?? I'm really confused too though and maybe they're right and I just haven't been informed correctly because my post-meal levels are all better than my fasting...my fasting level is always always between 7 and 8 whereby my post-meal is always between 6 and 8.....?? Maybe someone else will come along and shed some light........

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App