More Lancets Than Strips

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a query for anyone living in Ireland. On a monthly or 3 monthly prescription I can only get 100 strips per month. To test 4 times a day I need roughly 120. My doctor says medical card can only supply me with 100 max. But I can get a box of lancets every month without a problem. Each box contains 200 lancets. As a result I don't need a box per month but I am always questioned about whether or not I testing if I don't request lancets. Does everyone have this limit put on number of strips? Buying extra costs €40 per 50 so is a big expense.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am rationed to a max of one strip per day. I also have to pay for any more I need. As someone else pointed out on this forum the nurse doesn't mind looking at my results sheet to make decisions, she (the NHS) just object to paying for it.

I don't live in Ireland.

Lealea83

I don't live in Ireland either, but am limited to 100 strips per prescription, I also test 4 times a day. When I asked my dr about more, she actually told me if my diabetes was well controlled I wouldn't need to test as frequently!!!!! Once I've used my first box of strips, I normally put in for a repeat script and get it without question? Not sure why they can't just prescribe the amount needed in the first place

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On my repeat prescription I can put the number required. So my prescription is for 100, but I can put a 2 or 3 next to that and so I can 200 or more at a time

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not in ireland, but have 300 a month no problem. Reason I gave was I drive and by law am required to test each time before driving.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Ria

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Same here. I live in Surrey. I get 100 strips a month and 200 lancets. Now have loads if them. Have just ordered glucoflex strips from Amazon. These do not use a meter. Will post later on how I get on.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone for responding. Its very frustrating. In an ideal world I would like to test before and 2 hours after each meal and at night but as it stands I'm rotating the before and afters so I can't get a complete picture. If we can all see that more testing equals better control why can't doctors?

ER880

I wish I could get test strips, my doctor said I only need to test once a year?! as long as I have a 3 month check with my HBA1C, my last result it had gone up to 11% and my doctor suggested I do more and adjust my diet so I asked how can I know what my sugars are if I cant test and she said well you will have to buy some. (£27 for 50=12days)

heyjude68

I'm type II and I test regularly I can only get 100 per month but my GP forcing me to swap to a meter they are supplying so I can't get strips for my accu check mobile which I love. They switching everyone over to a new machine JAZZ but it is very inferior so I shall be forced to buy test strips.

Md.rose

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes what a postcode lottery, I am type 2 and had access to test strips and lancets, my doctor retired with ill health, and I have been transferred to another doctor, and she is saying as I am type 2 I can not get strips or lancets from her. I have a consultation with her to review a blood test that she organised. I have also had a triple heart by pass, and am really concerned that I can no longer control my diabetes. What arguments can I use to try to make her let me continue to have access to strips and lancets. Thinking of changing meter to get cheaper lancets BUT why should I subsidise the health service after paying in for so many years.

anteater2012

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
People who don't listen to others i.e. the 8 members of this forum I have put on ignore as they talk such utter **** all the time. This now includes the member who thinks they are a moderator.
Hi Thunder cat,

I too am in Ireland over in the west. I have finally received my long term illness card this week, but it only tells me "list f" medicines are applicable. Whether this includes strips or not I have been unable to find out as the LTI support team at the local hospital don't believe I need to know what is on list f and will not tell me! Not helpful from them and even worse i have been put on a SR metformin which apparently not licensed in Ireland so i guess that one is not on list f either. Clearly going to do some prodding of people. How can one help oneself if you are not properly informed in the first place?
If I get any intelligent info I will repost back.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried asking at a pharmacy if the strips are covered? They're dealing with them everyday and might be able to help. Best of luck

Den1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am also restricted on the amount of strips I get, I used to get 100 but argued that wasn't enough and it was then increased to 150. This isn't really enough, I inject 4 times a day and like to do a test each time, plus I was told by my Diabetic nurse to ensure I am no lower than 8 before bed, so there's 5 a day and if I drive (like another has already said) another test, so that's 6 and if you work it out to a 30 day month, that's 180 strips. My nurse told me I don't need to do so many tests, but I like to keep an eye on it and how are you supposed to keep good controls if you aren't doing many tests? I also walk to work and do a lot of walking at work so my sugar levels can dip quite a bit.

It's a nightmare, especially if you have to argue with the receptionist at the Doctors when you try and get more when you run out!

anteater2012

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
People who don't listen to others i.e. the 8 members of this forum I have put on ignore as they talk such utter **** all the time. This now includes the member who thinks they are a moderator.
ThunderCat - Smallish update for you - had yet ANOTHER prescription upping the amount of meds I am on :cry: so took the opportunity to ask about List F meds and strips. She promised to find the list for me the next time I am in (but could not lay hands on it there and then). I did ask about lancets & strips and she advised they were covered, so long as I present a prescription for them. Told me to get the Doc to a prescription for "testing strips" without naming the meter type as well.

Guess I am going back to the docs for yet another piece of paper and a E60 bill. Will see how many strips she is prepared to give me - I swear the doc is a vampire - every time I go they extract more blood!

I have been told by the PCRS that the list of approved meds is on the HSE website. I have spent two hours looking and still could not find it. I think the HSE website should be renamed "how-to-keep-an-idiot-busy.com" as I have not managed to get anything useful out it, yet like an idiot I keep on trying! :lol:

Md.rose

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am type 2, my doctor just retired due to ill health, with him I had no restriction in the supply of test strips or lancets, but I test just once a day at night 2 hours after last meal. If high I exercise to bring level down and then test again, I hate the thought of going through the night with high blood sugar.

My new doctor refused initially to provide strips, and after hb1ac test agreed to provide just 50 strips per year and that I should test just once a week, I am not happy with this and so have purchased the SD Codefree meter as a box of 50 test strips costs £7 compared to £23 for 50 for my one touch ultra 2 meter.

Testing the two meters on same drop of blood indicates that the SD Codefree is as accurate as the one touch ultra 2 meter, so I am happy to test on six days with the Codefree, one one day with my existing meter.

NICE are cutting costs by putting type 2 Diabetics at risk in my opinion.