more susceptible to colds and virus's

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hiya,

I have been diagnosed type 2 for about a fortnight and was starting to feel better. I have however today got a really bad chest and feel a cold coming big time - maybe 'man flue'

I can't remember the last cold I had - I have always been meticulous with cleanliness etc. Does diabetes make us more susceptible to stuff like colds? Do we need to take better care of ourselves in that regards and what on earth can I take for a cold - presumably lemsips, honey and lemon etc are way too high in sugar?

Cheers

Carl

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Carl,
I was diagnosed in May, this winter I have observed as my wife and three adult kids, son in law and various other family members have suffered from flu and other colds. My sister had swine flu. Throughout, I have been A1!!.
(Though I did have both of the flu injections).
Having said that, we are supposed to be more prone to such ailments...

Regards Steve.

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
I'm not sure about being more susceptible, and I remain totally unconvinced about the very existence of "man flu", but I think the effect or impact of colds/flu can be worse than for a non-diabetic. I've had seasonal flu just once about 10 years ago, I was off work for a month, it was the most horrible experience that I would never wish to repeat, so line up religiously for the jab(s) every year.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Carl,

I've been type 1 for 27 years, and in this time I rarely had in problems with colds and flu. About 6 years back I had flu which confined me to bed for a week, wasn't well at all, but apart from that nothing much really.

Like Kegstore, I get the seasonal flu jab each year, which is recommended for diabetics regardless of type. I have been told that we are supposedly susceptible to colds and flu, I know from when I had flu it certainly caused problems with my blood sugars, so be careful to monitor your bg's whilst unwell.

I am a great believer that your diet can have a influence in your well-being. Should you eat a well balanced diet of fruit and vegetables, this can play a role in fighting viruses and infections. I also take a Vitamin C tablet daily, which is supposedly helpful in fighting colds and flu. I don't know much about cold remedies like lemsip etc doing any good, as you say they are probably full of sugar, don't know if they do a sugar free version, I normally like to ride it out, but if you are unsure ask your pharmacist or gp for advice.

Regards

Nigel

MaryChristine

As far as I know, having diabetes mellitus (without complications or concurrent disease) does not make one more susceptible to colds and influenza, but many illnesses can make good blood glucose control more difficult, hence doctors recommend that people with diabetes mellitus are vaccinated against seasonal and swine flu.

MaryChristine

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
I was encouraged by the DN to go for flu jags “as diabetics are more susceptible and it is wise to take precautions” so I did. All in vain as I go down with anything that comes anywhere near! :roll: