More Vit. D News

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Wikipedia said:
Vitamin D is a group of fat-soluble secosteroids responsible for intestinal absorption of calcium and phosphate. In humans, vitamin D is unique because it can be ingested as cholecalciferol (vitamin D3) or ergocalciferol (vitamin D2) and because the body can also synthesize it (from cholesterol) when sun exposure is adequate (hence its nickname, the "sunshine vitamin").

:shock: Gobsmacked...

Does this mean, those of us with high cholesterol MAY be able to treat it by being in the sunshine???

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wouldn't surprise me in the least, actually. Vitamin D is apparently more of a precursor hormone than a vitamin as such. It's involved in just about every hormonal bodily process.

Mark's Daily Apple had a very interesting post on sleep and the subject of the timing of Vitamin D supplementation has some fascinating reading via embedded links:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/7-ways-s ... z2CFQotzlY

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Patch said:
Wikipedia said:
Vitamin D is a group of fat-soluble secosteroids responsible for intestinal absorption of calcium and phosphate. In humans, vitamin D is unique because it can be ingested as cholecalciferol (vitamin D3) or ergocalciferol (vitamin D2) and because the body can also synthesize it (from cholesterol) when sun exposure is adequate (hence its nickname, the "sunshine vitamin").

:shock: Gobsmacked...

Does this mean, those of us with high cholesterol MAY be able to treat it by being in the sunshine???

Yes.

Expose your arms and legs for 10 minutes a day on sunny summer days (what?) and you'll get enough to build up a store.

However, even if you ran about naked :shock: on sunny winter days, at this latitude you wouldn't get enough to be of any use. Also, as we get older we get more inefficient at manufacturing it in the cholesterol under our skin.

So I take VitD3, 2500iu a day all summer, and 5000iu a day in winter, and came out of last winter with Vit D levels of about 140 - above our local laboratory's given range, but not flagged up as dangerous.

I'm not dead yet! :D

Viv 8)

Edited once for the apostrophe.

C

catherinecherub

It is best to get your VitaminD levels checked before you decide that supplementation is necessary.
Too much Vitamin D can produce excess calcium in urine and blood which will create problems for us.

This article is worth a read.
http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vi ... -toxicity/
You could be experiencing the symptoms of Vitamin D toxicity and yet it could be nothing to do with your levels but a magnesium deficiency.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm interested in increasing my Vitamin D by utilising my cholesterol stores - anyone have any idea how to do this?

Sunbed, maybe?!?!?

Seems like high cholesterol might be my body saying I need more sun AND more Vitamin D.

JUST taking the Vitamin D won't do a thing for my high cholesterol, but if I can have that cholesterol converted to Vit. D then, 2 birds with 1 stone, surely?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm really looking forward to my first lipid test since going low carb, taking Vitamin D and increasing my sun exposure.

The really weird thing is that for the first time in my life, I'm not getting sunburned every time I go out in the sun. I started with very slow exposure and the supplementation and not once got a real sunburn, just a tan and lots more freckles!

Unfortunately there'll be too many variables to put down to just one thing.

My lipids have been invariably high for years and I'd really like to stop having the statin argument with doctors.

I'm a bit nervy about sunbeds though, they're restricting their use all over Australia because of the skin cancer connection.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Does anyone know anything about high cholesterol levels in populations in the tropics?

The other thread about research showing low Vit D levels associated with arterial plaques made me wonder whether high cholesterol levels could be associated with latitude in any way.

Viv 8)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
viviennem said:
Does anyone know anything about high cholesterol levels in populations in the tropics?

The other thread about research showing low Vit D levels associated with arterial plaques made me wonder whether high cholesterol levels could be associated with latitude in any way.

Viv 8)
Must be the flux, Viv :)

Was catching up on Jimmy Moore podcasts today and listened to this one where Vitamin D is discussed at around 19:10 - the intervieweee is Dr Philippe Hujoel who is a dental researcher and he talks about Vitamin D and tooth/bone mineralisation variability dependent on latitude:

http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/show ... al-health/

Unfortunately, no mention of arterial plaque, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was some correlation.