Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
(1) Diabetes :)
(2) Being told what to do
(3) Seagulls (3a) Seagulls that poo on my car
4) Vimto
Hi all

Received my diagnosis at the end of Aug, through a combination of eating less, getting off my lazy *ss & a little Metformin every day my weight has reduced and my blood sugars have fallen significantly I guess given my pre-diagnosis 1Ac test was 11.8

I have had to self fund my meter & test strips and have been testing 3 times a day to see what my sugars are doing (when I get up, before lunch & then again before my evening meal) I see readings of 4.5-6 in the evening, depending on what time I have had lunch & 6-6.5 at lunch which I guess are OK. First thing in the morning I see a much more variable result between say 6-8.

Is there anything I can try to bring these levels down or get a more consistent result or am I worrying about nothing? I get always get good nights kip 6-7hrs on avg and if I happen to wake in the night and need a drink then I will have water, fruit juice as you might expect pushes my readings up to around the 8 mark.

I am going to knock the daily testing on the head soon as I feel I have a reasonable handle on my sugars. Additional testing 2 & 4 hours after eating has shown me what foods work for me & what don't. Surprisingly, I appear to be tolerant to most foods that I ate before, so I just eat less of them and cut out the sweets, the only 2 foods that I still have an occasional weakness for, that rocket my sugars unto 10 or 11 after eating are Ben & Jerry's Ice-cream & Coconut cream based thai curries that are hot enough to melt your eyeballs.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The morning fasting levels are always the last to come down so I wouldn't worry too much about it if your levels during the day are fine.

Reactions: 2 people

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

Received my diagnosis at the end of Aug, through a combination of eating less, getting off my lazy *ss & a little Metformin every day my weight has reduced and my blood sugars have fallen significantly I guess given my pre-diagnosis 1Ac test was 11.8

I have had to self fund my meter & test strips and have been testing 3 times a day to see what my sugars are doing (when I get up, before lunch & then again before my evening meal) I see readings of 4.5-6 in the evening, depending on what time I have had lunch & 6-6.5 at lunch which I guess are OK. First thing in the morning I see a much more variable result between say 6-8.

Is there anything I can try to bring these levels down or get a more consistent result or am I worrying about nothing? I get always get good nights kip 6-7hrs on avg and if I happen to wake in the night and need a drink then I will have water, fruit juice as you might expect pushes my readings up to around the 8 mark.

I am going to knock the daily testing on the head soon as I feel I have a reasonable handle on my sugars. Additional testing 2 & 4 hours after eating has shown me what foods work for me & what don't. Surprisingly, I appear to be tolerant to most foods that I ate before, so I just eat less of them and cut out the sweets, the only 2 foods that I still have an occasional weakness for, that rocket my sugars unto 10 or 11 after eating are Ben & Jerry's Ice-cream & Coconut cream based thai curries that are hot enough to melt your eyeballs.

Hi . Had a similar problem and I found that if I had a small amount of carbs before bed my morning levels where better . Not saying it will work for you but it did for me .

Clive

waleed

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

This is called the Dawn phenomenon. Your body gets you charged with energy in preparation for your daily chores.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to stop testing. Things can quickly slide.
As for the morning liver dump, have you tried testing at bedtime to check it is a liver dump and you aren't just going to bed high? Worth a try. Liver dumps are a natural occurrence and there is nothing most of us can do to stop them. People have tried a variety of things without much success. You just have to be patient and wait for any insulin resistance to improve. (Usually weight loss helps too)

Reactions: 2 people