morning blood readings

durwyn

Hi,
Am fairly new to all this, diagnosed with type I less than a year ago. One thing I don't quite understand is why my morning (pre breakfast) test results are usually higher than when I go to bed. Readings first thing in the morning are usually between 6.5 and 7.2 while often when I go to bed they are 5.5 or so. I don't eat anything before going to bed, so why the increase ??

I inject 4 clicks of lanctus before going to bed.

Any insights would be appreciated

thanks

Durwyn

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hi Durwyn,welcome to the forum.I hope someone with type 1 knowledge will answer your question shortly.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya and welcome,
there could be many reasons, u could be nearing the end of your honeymoon period, some people also find that eating something before bed helps, i find if i dont eat supper im the same,also it may be the dawn phenomenon, hope this helps a bit :D

lilibet

Following totsys post maybe try the following

A protein snack before bed (cheese,hams, couple of nuts) and then see

Wake yourself up to test your sugars during the night to see what happens/when they go high.
If it is the end of your honeymoon period (assuming you had one and its not finished) its likely that all your insulin requirments would have changed, or so i am led to believe

Dawn phenomenon (when 'waking up' hormones kick in and interfere with insulin effectiveness)
So far dealing with this seems to have eluded lots of folk.

I tend to wake up higher than when I go to bed too, but am on premixed insulin and need to eat before I go to bed or risk hypo and always assumed it is this, though im sure time and a change of insulin will tell!

L