morning readings

Curleous

Dislikes
bad manners and rudeness
Hi all

i have noticed in the last couple of weeks that my morning reading has increased from about between 5 and 6.5 in the mornings to now between 6 and 8. I have changed nothing and was wondering why this should be. My levels have always gone up over night with morning readings higher than when i go to bed. My levels are generally good for the rest of the day and good hb1ac last week at 5.7 but am just curious as to why this is happening as i have noticed my meter average creeping up and i would like to keep this at what it is now. Is it time to up my lantus from 14 to 15 to see if this makes any difference, or does changing the time of the lantus make any difference. I have also noticed that 2 glasses of wine in the evening counter this . Thoughts please

Thanks
Curleous

frenchkittie

Do you take your Lantus in the morning Curleous?

I have been having the same problem, with readings higher in the morning than on going to bed.

Having ruled out the dawn phenomenon (see link below) and after finding that upping my Lantus dose only made me slightly hypo afterwards and didn't extend the number of hours it worked for (which, for me is around 20 hours) my DN and I decided to switch to midday jabs.

I'll be starting today, I'll let you know how I get on.

Some information about the dawn phenomenon and, wine in the evening here...
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7020&start=0

Curleous

Dislikes
bad manners and rudeness
hi there and thanks

i take my lantus at 22.00 every night sometimes 23.00.

Cheers
Curleous

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was seeing highs in the evenings when I took my lantus at around 22:00.
I moved it forward by 3 hours which seemed to solve that problem but then noticed a rise like you in the morning.

Increasing lantus fixed that too.

So my advice would potentially be first try bringing the lantus dose forward to an earlier time then let that settle for a few days and see how that goes. If not change then try a small increase. Just remember to give it 3 or 4 days after the change for things to settle a bit. I usually allow a week just to be sure.

Good luck

A