1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Morrisons' carby cheese

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by Languagelearner, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Languagelearner

Languagelearner Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Morrisons sells Greenside Grated Mix Cheese, 500g for £2.50. I have found to my cost this has 4.1g of carbs per 100g. Compare Cathedral City grated cheese, only 1.6g per 100g. But £2.00 for 180g. It seems the cheaper cheese should be avoided.

2. Geordie_P

Geordie_P Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sometimes with grated cheese, they add potato starch or cornstarch to stop it sticking together. I've basically given up on shredded cheese, and just go for blocks or slices.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Andydragon

Andydragon Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

The ingredients contain potato starch so that’s the reason. So does the cathedral city, just less I would guess, which might lead to the cost difference here as you are getting less cheese probably (plus the branding mark up)

At least unless it’s from the deli at least we can check ingredients. Although I guess the deli has those too :)

For normally low/zero carb cheese then you’ll need to grate yourself as @Geordie_P says, they need something to stop it sticking back together

at least for both of these according to the ingredients it actually is cheese. Some of what passes for cheese, is pretty scary

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. In Response

In Response Type 1 · Well-Known Member

But did it affect your blood sugars?
    With the amount of fat in cheese to slow down carb absorption, I would not be surprised if 4 or 5% of carbs would have much impact.

I always buy a block of cheese (as strong as possible) and grate it myself. It seems to be cheaper, I can chose how fine I want the grating, can use it for other things that don't need gratings and now I know I am paying for cheese rather than potato starch.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  5. jaywak

jaywak Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have found no matter what the product is the cheaper versions usually have more carbs , It's a case of you get what you pay for !

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Always read the ingredients on grated cheese. I used to get some which was cheese only, but I don't remember what or where from.

7. LionChild

LionChild LADA · Well-Known Member

Just an aside on this thread: I love cheese, but does anyone here have any idea of how cheese contributes to cholesterol levels?

8. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My cholesterol levels came down when I ate less carbs and higher fat and it has stayed about the same for the last 10 years or so .I eat lots of cheese, toasted for breakfast every day cheese and leek omelette once a week, cheese crisp s with a burger ,a chunk of cheese with nuts for a snack .but that is just my story
    Carol

• Like Like x 1
  9. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Your food sounds delicious! What do you have your breakfast toasted cheese on?

10. coby

coby Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I agree with you on this, and often just cut off a chunk to eat with my fingers and a few nuts to accompany it

• Like Like x 1
  11. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

I do the same. I grate a big block of cheese each week and store it in a Tupperware in the fridge to use when I want.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just out of interest I had a look at the generic home brand shredded cheese that I get, it has less than 1% carbs per 100 grams in it.

So the anti caking agent "cellulose" in it is very near zero carbs.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. ultradad

ultradad Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Cathedral City Extra Mature Cheese 350g only has 0.1 grams of carbs per 100g. Its what i use and the extra protein and fats come in handy :) and it only costs £2.50 for a block

• Like Like x 1
  14. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have it on a slice of Burgen soya and linseed bread at the moment but will have to find. another low carb bread soon !
    Carol

• Like Like x 1
  15. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Thanks, I used to love that bread. I can’t get it where I live now though.
    I’m experimenting with a couple of on line low carb bread suppliers: Seriously low carb and keto fitness club, both are ok and better toasted than plain I think.
    Cheese on toast for lunch then I think!

16. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

:)
    Tasty, eh?
    Not one for the sharp cheese then.:)

17. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

"Tasty" seems an odd name for a type of cheese. Is there another variety called "Tasteless'?

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

It lowered mine when I abandoned low fat products.

19. Riva_Roxaban

We buy strong cheddar cheese for eating as is, the shredded stuff if for cooking with, mostly in omelettes.

20. Riva_Roxaban

We have a brand of tasty cheese named Coon after it's manufacture, it has been renamed Cheer for good reasons probably because that was "tasteless".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheer_cheese

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook