Motivate Me to Exercise!

Orchid

Does anyone have any wise words of wisdom to motivate me to do some exercise?? :oops:

Age 44, mum to 2 kids
Type 1 for too long!
Over weight - but lost almost a stone recently at the Scottish Slimmers

I keep quite well at the moment, desperate to improve HBA1C - don't have a bad diet or smoke, but don't do much in the way of exercise.

I have been a member at a gym and swimming pool, for ages, but my money is wasted as I don't attend.

I often feel really tired and don't know if this is health related or the fact that I just can't be bothered makes me feel more tired.

Looking for inspiration - Help!! :cry:

Orchid

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
What do you eat and what is your treament?
On insulin, it's very hard to lose weight, which I'm sure you could have told me, but if you can cut carbs down and reduce the insulin, It should become easier to do.
Read Dr. Bernstein's docrine of small numbers.

Orchid

28/30 units of lantus before bed
doses of novorapid vary depending on BG and what I'm having to eat (before each meal)

I make a lot of soups, we like roast dinners and the usual things like spag bol, a curry now and again, salads - the usual things

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No good looking at me then! Too lazy for my own good and I live on my own.

I have lost 4 and a half stones (and still loosing) on a low-carb diet without changing my activity patterns, but I'm T2 not on insulin.

I used to be super fit and all I can say is if you don't enjoy it, there's little point in doing it, 'cos it wont last.

wiflib

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
I walk in Health walk Groups. i do mornings, but then I'm retired. I know of groups thqat meet in lunch hours and evening and weekend groups. i also go to aqua exercise. all sociable things. It's much more fun in groups and the gym bores me rigid.

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hello Orchid,

All I did was pick the form of exercise that I hated the least, and then did a little bit every day.

Just remember to take it really easy to begin with. So that when you finish your first session
you say "that was easy", rather than "call an ambulance". Once you start exercising and feel
the benefits, you'll become more motivated to keep it going on a regular basis.

If you have the money and the space, a treadmill is a great investment.

All the best,
timo.

Orchid

Thanks Timo2 - that was helpful. I don't have the space for a treadmill, wish I did. But I really like your suggestion of starting with something you least like (I don't mind walking) and not overdoing it the first day. I think that may be part of the problem, when I have attempted this in the past I go and do something that really shatters me and then have no motivation to do it again. Thanks for the suggestion. Orchid

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Hi Orchid
How old are the children? Do they need someone to walk them to school, or would they walk with you?
If they would go out with you for half an hour after school, "because we are helping Mum get better," that would be great.

Orchid

Hi Hanadr

That's a good idea. My children are 15 (boy) and 10 (girl). They are both diabetic also. There is no way my boy would come walking with me as he plays golf (every spare minute of his life!) so he gets plenty of exercise there. I could try my daughter, but she's often tired when she gets out of school.

Anyway just to let you know I managed about 35 minutes brisk walking today - it felt great, although I should have done it in better shoes as I now have two blisters - or maybe my feet have just gotton too soft with lack of walking! Anyway - here's a start!

Orchid x

candy1567

Hi Orchid

what i did was get a dog, we've had him for about 3 months now and hes a little monster!!! hes so mischevious and into everything its worse than having a baby.

I walk him a minimum of 30 minutes twice a day and running round after him am knackered and have slept better than i have done in years.

His fav trick is to run off with socks and eat the vedge, we have to put vedge rack in shower room when we go out or go to bed as the little sod eats it, see it rubbing off on the dog hes even into low carbing.

I have never felt so energetic for ages

Juliexx

Juliexx

Orchid

Hi Julie

Thanks for your post. I only hope my daughter doesn't read - she wants a dog sooooo badly :cry:

I quite like dogs, but my husband is really allergic to both cats and dogs, cats affect his breathing, but dogs affect the excema on his hands and itch his eyes. But I often envy the people out walking their dogs. I have been thinking of putting an ad in the local post office window for maybe someone who needs their dog walked for them - that would please my daughter too!

That's so funny about your dog eating your veg :D

Orchid

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
I'll put the cat among the pigeons.
1) Chasing after a dog makes them run further. If you MUST! then run AWAY from him. It should bring him to you Whatever you do, train for reliable recall. It could save your dog's life. then train for "DROP" anothe potential life saver.
2) to Orchid's daughter. Curly haired dogs like poodles tend to cause fewer allergic reactions, (because they don't moult. They need to be clipped.) especially if they get bathed often, so they don't have dander. Poodles are brilliant dogs if you don't treat them like idiots. They are one of the most trainable breeds and the big ones are so much fun. Would be Great exercise. Standard Poodle Rescue may have your new best friend waiting for you. Let's hope he/she has a tail.

candy1567

Hi

Oh yes we found that one out, he likes to be chased, hes 6 months old and a cross between a labrador and a jack russell, he has a lab body but a jack head, hes soooo cute

He will eat any vedge at all he luvs carrots and the leaves off cauliflower, sprouts, cabbage you name it he eats it and it doesn't seem to effect him either. He can open doors and cupboards hes a monster

He does as hes told for me ( he knows better not to!!) but not for my partner he thinks hes a toy haha

But he is well behaved when he is out and if fully trained on and off the lead, but hes sooooo mischevious

Ive found that hes a great help in excercising the only thing he wont do is retrieve, he will fetch a stick ball etc but not bring it back so all the bending down is great

Juliexx

jaydeetee

I am T2, non medicated and I do next to nothing all day, but I have lost a stone in two months by changing how I do my housework. Instead of using the nozzle on the vacuum to get in corners and by the skirting boards I get on my hands and knees with a damp cloth and brush out what is there in to an area where I can vacuum it up without having to use the tools. I don't use a mop to wash floors any more but do them on my hands and knees instead and so on. I try to do housework as our predecessors did it four times a week and it is giving me a really good workout without having to go to a gym etc. I can feel the burn in my sides and arms when I've done it really well, and my flat looks a lot better for it too. As my diabetic consultant told me it's activity we want, any activity, and that moving of any kind that makes us puff a bit comes under that heading. A GP I used to go to once asked me if my parents used to go to a gym. When I said they didn't have them then she told me that they didn't need them then because their housework was more physical and they walked more. I'm not good at walking due to agraphobic tendencies, but I've proved their type of housework works.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
jaydeetee,
Brilliant , :lol: and well done on the weight loss.
The trouble is I'd rather be out for a run or a walk or the gym, or gardening or swimming or........anything but housework. Do you want to get some extra exercise and come and do mine?

C

catherinecherub

Hi jaydeetee,
Well done on the housework front. Wise Dr who said that in previous generations there was no need for gyms.
If I cannot get outside, it has rained here non stop all day, then like you I make the housework more demanding and it works. I wash down paintwork as well and clean the inside of the windows.
Modern appliances have got a lot to answer for as has the car, but what would we all do without them?
Regards, Catherine.

Orchid

Update

Firstly love the motivation for the housework!!

As I cannot get a dog due to allergies in the family, and as I mentioned, my daughter really loves dogs, we have registered as dog walkers at our nearest Dog Trust, these are mostly needy dogs who are not wanted or have been abandoned and are hopefully going to get re-homed - although there are some who are unlikely to get rehomed for various reasons. Some of the dogs there have been well cared for but due to personal circumstances (eg. illness or family commitments) their owners can no longer look after them, others are more sad cases and have been abused or neglected. http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/

So hopefully we start this week!

Orchid

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
I have 3 dogs. the last of my showing career. They are Italian Greyhounds. 3 generations of the same family. Pippi is 14 and blind, her son Gus is nearly9 and his daughter Molly iscoming up 5. Pippi had a show career, but Molly has never seen a dog show and Gus was a washout. Pippi's Mother Minka took me round a Crufts ring for a first placein 2000.
I also have 2 cats. Primrose, who is a classic Jellicle and Orlando who is completely orange, even his eyes.
During the snowy weather, Not a single animal has been outside of the house. Luckily I can provide facilities for them.
When the weather is suitable(Igs have very fine coats) I walk Molly and Gus round a loop of anout 2 miles, up and down hills. Pippi, I have to take alone. Walking a blind dog has its problems and taking her with the others isn't possible. I used to taks 3 to the park, before she lost her sight and some local idiot got a standard poodle and didn't bother to train it. It's rambunctious and chases the IGs and won't let them return to me if I call. It's just too dangerous.