megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
14hi,

well having struggles with the diabetes and getting it balanced for some time...I'm finding it all a bit tiring to say the least....

I try and try...I have gained more weight over the last year and have over the years become insulin resistent...I'm on metformin...and thyroxine and prozac.....I'm having cognitive behavoural therapy each month and whilst its helped with some things....its not specifically directed around diabetes because my therapist doesn 't know anything about it....and I guess really thats neither the point or necessary.....but I'm with out a diabetes dr or nurse and have been for some time....

I have been told by one diabetes team that they have CBT and totally understand the reasons why they are necssary...but I cannot join their team...

so I ask you.....how do you cope when you're motivation is low......I still follow all my rules....and am on DAFNE.....just mine is not a low carb diet....I get too hungry to cut that out...thus there is my viscious circle!!!!

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi - I'm a Type 2. Have you tried lo-carbing? It sounds (from your post) that you've not tried it (yet). I can PROMISE you - if you try lo-carbing you will not be as hungry as you are when you eat a diet with lots of carbs in it.

I used to be a carb FIEND! I could eat carbs all day (sandwiches (always with "healthy(!)" brown Bread), toast, pizza's, pasta, biscuits, etc...) and still be hungry. When I started a lo-carb diet I couldn't believe the difference it made to my appetite. I even went without meals some days (something that I'd never done before - if I'd been told this would happen I wouldn't of believed it).

There is this belief that eating a lo-fat, high-carb diet is healthy (for diabetics). This is just not the case - carbs are not filling - they can make you even more hungry (if you are anything like me!).

Just a quick note. Before I low carbed, I could EASILY eat a nice steak with mushrooms, peas and chips, and even a side of onion rings, and STILL be ravenously hungry afterwards. Now that I lo-carb, I can eat the same size steak with a side of coleslaw and maybe a fried egg, and feel completely full...

Lo-carbing is not for everybody - maybe you really don't like the idea of it at all. just don't dismiss it without trying.

I hope it all works out well for you.

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
thanks for the reply....im going to try again......your post has given me boost..

I've been so tired of diabetes not working...I haven't ever backed off blood tests or doing my meds...just keep ploughing on and on......hopefully a little motivation will go a long way!

ever heard of cognitive work for diabetes?

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
COGNITIVE THERAPY AND DIABETES?

have started to look this up...anyone got any knowledge on this or some literature I can look into?

I understand the diabetes burnout cycle...but I don't stop taking care of myself...I still test and do all meds....and I have heard of a clinic with a cognitive person to help diabetic patients..

but I don't have access to this and would like to find out more information.

:?:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi.
My understanding is that Cognitive Therapy is not specifically about Diabetes ? The therapy can be adapted to suit as far as I am aware and it does depend a lot on your location ?

Here are some links which might help. First of all a directory of useful UK links.
http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/1057/

This is another link to the same site which explains what it is about etc.
http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/27000424/

Hope that helps ?

HJM1966

Megan, what are your thyroid levels (TSH, T3 and T4)? Low thyroid = weight gain and low mood. Do you have other symptoms of hypothyroidism? Your current Thyroxine dose may simply not be enough????

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
hi,,

I have had my levels tested recently and the dr was quite happy with it all....I went through this a few years ago when I researched the fact that some medics feel that those with low thyroid levels can benefit from having thyroid levels closer to the upper measurement...

my dr didn't go with this idea and I have gradually increased weight..

I have been having CBT for the last year for depression and anxiety....its coming to an end now...and when I asked about further help with the diabetes....I was told that this would need a CBT therapist with more specific knowledge of diabetes.

aparantly this is available in some diabetic clinics..

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Patch you've described the so called "Chinese restaurant effect".
the one where you've eaten loads of rice and an hour later you are ravenous. I've never seen it linked to low carb before, but the thought just flashed into my mind.
Hana

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Megan - what do you mean about "I'm with out a diabetes dr or nurse and have been for some time...." and why can't you join the other diabetes team you mention? I'm wondering if there is a way to address that issue, by asking your GP to refer you? I realise there's more to to your situation than that, but it's unusual for someone with type 1 diabetes not to have a least an annual review with a diabetes team.

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
its because of where I live....I found the other diabetic team on the internet...I cannot go to their clinic because I do not live in that area......

for me to get to a diabetic team....assuming there was a way for me to get past what I've just mentioned.....then we are talking in the hundreds of pounds for me to get in.....thats why I'm on my own

a little isolating huh

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you in the UK? There isn't much private diabetes care in the UK, as most care is provided by NHS. Admittedly some teams are better than others, but I can't see that paying "hundreds of pounds" is much of an option. You could also try asking your GP to refer you for CBT, regardless of diabetes - waiting list may be long, but perhaps worth a try?