MOVING OVER TO ADULT SECTION

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Had a phone call this week to say they are moving James to the adult section and wondered how he feels about it. He will see consultant once a year and nurse between 4 and 6 months. The only thing he is bothered about is having his blood tests done as in the children's section they freeze his arm first. Amazing he hates his bloods done when he used to stick needles in himself 5 times a day. My question is does anyone have or know if they would still freeze his arm if he wants it..

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can be given numbing cream beforehand most bloods get done at gps for the hospital and they don't have freezing spray there.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, i have no idea as my little one gets frozen, i wonder could you not buy the stuff and take it along, then just ask them to use it if they haven't got it in the adults section? (sorry if this is bad advice) my eldest (13 year old) is exhibiting signs so she has an appointment with the doc on monday, she won't even let me prick her finger to test bg so thats going to be interesting lol best of luck

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Had a phone call this week to say they are moving James to the adult section and wondered how he feels about it. He will see consultant once a year and nurse between 4 and 6 months. The only thing he is bothered about is having his blood tests done as in the children's section they freeze his arm first. Amazing he hates his bloods done when he used to stick needles in himself 5 times a day. My question is does anyone have or know if they would still freeze his arm if he wants it..

I would imagine they will if you ask beforehand, it will still all be on his records that he doesn't like his blood taken.

As for seeing the nurse every 4-6 months, they will see him during this time should things go astray with his control, also if you ring the clinic up you can normally get to speak with a DSN or they'll return the call later that day.

Hope you goes well for James :)

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
hi, i have no idea as my little one gets frozen,
And you post this in a thread entitled "Adult section" <G>
Seriously though the numbing cream is called Emla , as I recall. Got it for my daughter & pals to numb them for their inoculations!

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
And you post this in a thread entitled "Adult section" <G>
Seriously though the numbing cream is called Emla , as I recall. Got it for my daughter & pals to numb them for their inoculations!

my 10 year old has an elergic reaction to emla the area comes up in a big bump, she loves the spray although she says its hurts because its so cold, she feels nothing of the jabs