Moving to England soon, how to get insulin?

SofiC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone. I was wondering what the process of obtaining insulin is like in the UK? I am originally from Argentina and I am travelling for a year for work, I have just spent a year working in Australia, where I had to visit the GP and get a prescription from them every time I needed insulin. My private health insurance did cover some of the costs. How does it work in the UK? I am planning on getting private insurance once I am there as well (any good ones to recommend?). Can you please advice on the procedure and also on the costs of needles, insulin and blood measuring strips?
Thank you!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
The NHS may be stretched, but it provides an awesome selection of free healthcare for insulin dependent diabetics.

You'll need to register with a GP, (and possibly pay an immigration health surcharge when you enter the country, depending on your visa.)

Have a close read of this link here.

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/nh...ngland/how-to-access-nhs-services-in-england/

Visiting a GP is free in England, and you'll probably qualify for free prescriptions as well, due to being a diabetic. If not, then you should be able to get a prescription prepayment certificate for 30GBP for 3 months. GPs give out scripts for insulin, pens, needles, lancets and test strips. It may be more tricky if you need to access pump supplies or continuous glucose monitors. It's possible that your GP won't want to prescribe as many strips as you need, there's a wide variety available to buy without prescription but I'd recommend asking your GP first.

Have a look at this link as well.

https://assets.nhs.uk/prod/documents/Using-the-NHS-Information-for-visitors-from-abroad.pdf

I haven't lived in the UK for a while, so someone else may come along soon to give you better advice if I've got the above wrong.

As long as you're covered by the NHS, then I don't think that private health insurance will help. (They tend not to cover pre-existing conditions).

Hope the above helps. (And apologies if I'm out of date on the advice).

Reactions: SofiC and SimonCrox