Moving to the UK

Sorks_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

Just looking for some very basic, babystep advice/help. I'm a type one diabetic and thinking of moving (from Dublin) to the UK. I just wanted some information on what way access to insulin works over there? Do I have to register with a gp in order to get insulin prescriptions? Costs?
I literally have no idea how to even begin searching for information so any help would be an enormous start for me.
Thank you!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
A T1 gets free medication in the UK once registered.

You'll need a doc to make out the initial prescription then you can ask at the reception for a medical exemption certificate claim form.

Should be pretty straightforward from there, after couple of weeks you'll get a credit card sized piece of plastic that you show to the pharmacy when you pick up your meds.

This exemption certificate actually works for all your medications - diabetes related or not.

Reactions: 2 people
S

Shar67

From 2015 NHS made changes to who is entitled to free treatment, people from countries in the EU are entitled to free emergency treatment but not necessarily treatment for existing conditions. You need to contact your local health authority to see if they have and agreement with NHS and if this covers existing conditions, if they don't you have to pay.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
From 2015 NHS made changes to who is entitled to free treatment, people from countries in the EU are entitled to free emergency treatment but not necessarily treatment for existing conditions. You need to contact your local health authority to see if they have and agreement with NHS and if this covers existing conditions, if they don't you have to pay.

If moving to England from an EEA state and you become 'ordinarily resident' then I believe you are entitled to the same as the indigenous species - a founding principle of the EU.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutN...and/Pages/moving-to-england-from-the-eea.aspx

S

Shar67

You only get reciprocal treatment, that is why on temp journeys you have to have EHIC, if you are coming to live you have to prove habitual residence. If you've only be here for 2 weeks you will be hard pressed to prove that, so you would only get emergency treatment and pay for existing conditions. My son had to be in Germany for 6 months.

Edit, even if you are a British subject, and have been living out of the U.K. for a period of time, you have to prove habitual residence to get NHS treatment (created to stop people living in tax free countries coming home, to get treatment even though they haven't lived here for years)

Edited again, every time I go to the hospital (which is a lot) I get asked my address and GP and if I have had both for the past 6 months.

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Irish citizens automatically have a right to reside in the UK as part of the common travel area. If you were habitually resident in Ireland or any of the other places in the common travel area before you came to the UK, you will automatically satisfy the conditions of the HRT.(Habitual Residency Test)

However, if you come to the UK from a country outside the common travel area, you will have to prove you're habitually resident here to meet those conditions.

Sorks_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks so much for all your help. I really appreciate it. It's one less thing to worry about!
Thank you!

CarerOfType1

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You only get reciprocal treatment, that is why on temp journeys you have to have EHIC, if you are coming to live you have to prove habitual residence. If you've only be here for 2 weeks you will be hard pressed to prove that, so you would only get emergency treatment and pay for existing conditions. My son had to be in Germany for 6 months.

Edit, even if you are a British subject, and have been living out of the U.K. for a period of time, you have to prove habitual residence to get NHS treatment (created to stop people living in tax free countries coming home, to get treatment even though they haven't lived here for years)

Edited again, every time I go to the hospital (which is a lot) I get asked my address and GP and if I have had both for the past 6 months.

Hi @Sorks_ thanks for your comment, jumping in here...

My husband and I may be relocating to Germany following a job offer I received, he will look for work upon arrival so I will check if he can be covered by my health insurance. He is from the EU and type 1, (levemir, NovoRapid, using Freestyle Libre). You mentioned that your son had to be living in Germany for 6 months. Is there a 6 month waiting period from the time of registration in Germany or does that depend on if you are on private or public health insurance. Thank you.

S

Shar67

You have to register on arrival but would have to pay for any treatment for 1st 6 months. If you have private insurance you can use that. Most people have some sort of insurance for medical treatment, talking to my son it seems you can get a special diabetes cover. He has lived in Germany for 3 years.