1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Mr. booze and T1

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by mrtn.pllr, Dec 16, 2019.

1. mrtn.pllr

mrtn.pllr Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hey all!
    So I decided to drink some alcohol at a party. I talked it through with my doctor before the event. I was very nervous at the beggining. I was a huge consumer of fine beers and short drinks before my diagnosis. But guess what? Nothing terrrible happened. I drank about half a bottle of dry red wine. My BG was stable the whole time, around 4-5. No hypos or hypers. I know that doesn't mean that I can drink like in the good ol' days, but it was something. What are your experiences with alcohol, parties and type I diabetes?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello @mrtn.pllr

I only drink red wine or gin with sugar free tonic now and I find it has very little impact on my control, but then I don't drink very much these days now, I do avoid sugary alcohol drinks as that does push my levels up.

The other thing to watch out for is the day after when the liver is doing a clear out and restocking glucose, it can often cause levels to dip and also dancing the night away can also cause hypos, so as with any activity and type 1 a bit of careful monitoring and no reason why you can't enjoy yourself :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. sjm1308

sjm1308 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I find I'm ok if I stick to wine or vodka with a diet mixer. I tend to go low when I'm sleeping though so I always make sure to eat something before bed.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I always have vodka and diet coke and as long as I make sure I'm not too low before I go to bed I'm normally fine - noting that I was T1 well before drinking age so have always had the diet drinks. I'm also 'Miss Picky' so I never feel the urge to try another drink :) - though as I'm getting older I never drink to excess anyways because it makes my stomach not right happy the next day (nothing to do with the diabetes I may add)

• Like Like x 3
  5. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

FB_IMG_1576510186941.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. mrtn.pllr

It seems after all, that it's possible to drink and have fun and still stay safe :) What about beer? That's really my favorite kind of drink, and I know that there are a lot of carbs in it... Do you have any experience with that?

7. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Just my way of tackling it, which may not work for you or even spell disaster, is to inject for the first couple of beers and not for the later ones, as they seem to get compensated by the glucose lowering effect of the alcohol. I think. Not sure of the mechanism at all!
    And adjusting my drinking tempo to the numbers on my meter: If I rise quickly I may go slower on the beer and have a glass of something else instead, if I see a drop I turn up the beer-speed a bit or have some crisps. Towards the end of the evening I'll aim for a bit higher numbers, to be stable and safe before bed, and likely I'll munch some more slow acting carbs before bed.
    This strategy obviously only works if you're willing to test many times over a couple of hours. Which is what I do, even with the Libre to keep an eye on things, my wilder nights still use quite a lot of test strips.

Cheers, and be careful!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

I never bolus for beer but i only have a couple i find that i spike with it although numbers come down quite quick

• Like Like x 1
  9. mrtn.pllr

It seems like a good strategy. I have to test it myself. Go with those test strips and if I have to gonna check it every half an hour. What about the checking? Do you go to the bathroom or just simply check it at the table or something? I really don't know the right "etiquette" for checking my BG at a party. :D

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  10. mrtn.pllr

I think I will test it out for myself :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. Postleneo

Postleneo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

For me drinking beer or lager will inject for the 1st pint and try and wait 5 to ten mins... Then inject for 2nd when I start drinking the first and so on... At end of the night might have a couple of crackers with peanut butter before bed... Or reduce basal by 15% for 4 hrs.... This seems to work for me... Not perfect but seem to remain about 7 to 7.5 all night... I know not the best... But only drink once in a while.. My problem is how to deal with the late night kebab that may follow

• Like Like x 1
  12. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I test (and inject) wherever i am at the moment :)
    If it spikes curiosity in your friends, all the better, as they'll be able to keep an eye on you as well to watch out for hypo's, at least until the party is over.
    Mind, a hypo may come on as a result from booze hours later, or even the next day, the please be careful part wasn't a joke!

I found a lot of people are genuinely interested in what you're doing, and why, and sometimes come up with good idea's as well. I often take a couple of extra lancets so people can test their own blood as well if they're curious

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. MarkHaZ123

MarkHaZ123 · Well-Known Member

I had issues before diagnosis with drinking lager and having 15-20 pints when I was out on a full day session plus whatever shorts/shots

I gave lager up purely so I didn't feel like ****.

Saturday I was out and had 4 pints of Moretti and half a litre of vodka. I didn't eat from breakfast till I ate before going home at 2am
    On the drink from 10am

My bloods through the day were good, stayed under 10 which is totally strange for me, especially when I'm always out for about 12-15 hours

• Like Like x 1
  14. localshop

localshop · Well-Known Member

pretty much that. A few units to cover the carbs in the beer and let it hit 10 before bed. Maybe DAFNE could be renamed DAFND?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Ushthetaff

Ushthetaff Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi
    My experiences of alcohol are varied depending on amount consumed, I remember many years ago all diabetics were recommended to drink diet pilsner “ cos all the sugar turned to alcohol “, The Balance magazine even use to have full page adverts for it, However that was before it was realised that excessive alcohol tends to drop bs like a stone , my theory was and still is have something to eat before you go out take insulin to suit bs and what you are eating then don’t take any insulin to compensate alcohol when your out, because in my experience it’s when you go home after a “skinful” and go to bed is when your bs drops. My theory is now go out have a good time but deal with your bs when you are sober enough to do it , and most of all enjoy yourself that’s why your going out after all .

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your drinking experiment. I'd carry on but do be aware of how it works i.e. your body will be busy processing the booze so can't respond to glucagon (hormone driving glucose production via the liver) so there is that risk of hypo but I guess it will depend on your individual processing speed and the qunaity/quality of beer you drink. Here is the Diet Doctor visual guide to beers bearing in mind that there will be some carb to be processed at some point:
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/alcohol#beer
    ps own drinking experiences based on wine which I don't bolus for are fine however I don't feel hungry OR make bad choices when drunk so it tends to upset the apple cart especially next day when comfort eating toast! No bad experiences but then I am on a pump which tends to mitigate things.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Shannon27

Shannon27 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

So glad you've had a good experience with alcohol and bg levels!

I like my wine too, and find that while it does have an effect on my sugars, it isn't as much as i would have believed if i had listened to my doctor.

Shorts are the best thing a diabetic can drink - something about the alcohol content with the lack of added sugar for flavour in most means they are likely to reduce blood sugar levels when drinking with a sugar free mixer. I've been told to alternate between diet and non diet mixers to keep it as stable as possible.

There is a lot of added sugar in beer, so be careful. Avoid cider like the plague.

In this early stage while you're still figuring your diabetes out, i'd recommend further experimentation. Don't get drunk until monitoring your sugars becomes a habit. I know when i go out it's always at the back of my mind and however drunk i get, i make sure to eat something before i collapse into bed, whatever my readings are. When it's trying to process alcohol your body won't know the difference between general drunkenness and hypo awareness, and as you're more likely to go hypo after a good night out, you won't tell the difference. Got an annoying scar to show how bad it can get.

You live and learn!

• Like Like x 1
  18. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've not read all the previous posts, because they all probably say something slightly different and that sums up diabetes - we are all different and what works for one doesn't mean it will work for you - plenty of trial and error and lots of testing until you understand what each type of drink does for you..........enjoy!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. mrtn.pllr

I'm also curious about the hangovers. Haven't had any since my diagnosis. I only drank once, and not that much :D

20. mrtn.pllr

One of my friends suggested me to tell everyone at a party that I'm a T1 diabetic, because if anything happens to me, it's not enough to make me drink a glass of water and just throw up to relive myself. I would need medical assistant, but I hope that I will never drink that much or mess up that much to need an ambulance :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook