1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Mr. booze and T1

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by mrtn.pllr, Dec 16, 2019.

1. mrtn.pllr

mrtn.pllr Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was also a huge drinker. For me drinking beer started at 4-5 cans, and went up to 10+ cans. Guess I have to stay down from now on. But strangely I have a friend who is also T1 and he says that drinking beer doesn't do anything to his sugar, he tested it. Maybe the carbs and the alcohol balances out in the beer.

2. mrtn.pllr

That is what I hear the most. That after drinking the blood sugars drop when you go to bed. That's what I'm afraid of, what if I get a really bad hypo when sleeping? Do I wake up to it? What happens if I'm to drunk to take care of that dawn-hypo?

3. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Same as before :)
    At least as long as drunk eating hasn't given you high bg all night...

4. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

We can't tell you, as it's very different how we react to nighttime hypo's.
    I have good experiences with crisps before bed. I can't eat them anymore late at night because they tend to spike me some 4 or 5 hours later, when I'm fast asleep and can't do anything about it.
    On drinking nights when I doubt my dosing and am lowish before bed, knowing something will keep my bg up when I'm sound asleep is exactly what I want.

We're not the first to struggle with the combination of booze and diabetes, but at least we're lucky that cider is not our favourite drink!

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Abigail18

Abigail18 · Member

I always have vodka or spirits with sugar free mixers as when I have drunk wine in the past it didn’t end very well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mrtn.pllr

It's true, that everyone has a unique metabolism. As processing alcohol is part of our metabolism, this will create huge differencies in the effects. I have to try out what happens if I drink beer. I hope that the carbs and the alcohol will balance out.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. mrtn.pllr

May I ask you how did you get that scar? Was it because of a bad hypo?

8. mrtn.pllr

This song is fantastic :D Yeah it's a fortune that I never liked cider and any other sweet-ish spirits.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mrtn.pllr

Next time I'm gonna try some shots, maybe shots and beer combo, will see what it does. :D

10. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Have fun with your N of 1 experiment hopefully with a sensible friend on standby with the jelly babies!

11. Shannon27

Shannon27 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Woke up in the middle of the night on New Year's Day a few years ago, as people do, i needed the loo. I felt a bit shaky so after testing (i wasn't particularly hypo, but enough for me to worry) i had a glucogel and went into the bathroom. I realised that i was in trouble as i was getting muscle spasms in my arms and legs. I would have woken up sooner with hypo warnings but as i'd been drinking my hypo awareness was down. Tried calling for my partner to help but he didn't hear me, in trying to stand back up i fell again and hit the bridge of my nose on the ceramic corner of the bath.
    Woke up in bed in the morning feeling fine! My boyfriend turned on the light and was really worried because i had blood all over my face, i must have woken up on the bathroom floor and crawled back into bed. He's told me he remembers me getting back in bed because i was really cold.
    Since then, i've been sure to not drink to excess, because it could have turned out a lot worse. The scar on the bridge of my nose is a good reminder to look after myself on nights out :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. localshop

localshop · Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I still get hangovers

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. MarkHaZ123

MarkHaZ123 · Well-Known Member

Possibly.
    I wasn't testing when I had issues as I didn't know it was diabetes related but just gave up big lager sessions. Iv found drinking vodka or gin all day doesn't really effect me too much

I generally go out on match days with the lads so it always ends up at least 12 hours on the drink. Saturday gone was the first as a T1 on novarapid rather than novamix

14. CearaRed1073

CearaRed1073 Type 1 · Member

have some protein/fat to balance out the carbs, nuts or the like. as for testing etiquette, after 41 years, i tend to do as i like and not worry about it too much, but if you don't feel comfortable doing it in front of everyone, the bathroom also works.

15. donnamyatt

donnamyatt Type 1 · Newbie

Hi.
    I've been T1 for 41 years, I always made sure someone who I was with knew I'm type 1 and what to do if I became more than just drunk. I've been slaughtered more than once and hubby has put me to bed, held my hair when I've been sick and also tested my BM and even injected me when BM was high. He was also drunk but has a better constitute obviously. I'm sure The Army helped with that!!! Lol. Anyway I have no lasting effects, never get a hangover or anything. The best advice I can give you is to try a few different ways and see what works best for you. I've always drunk cider, lager or Bacardi and diet coke. They all seem to lower my bg but at slower rates.

16. RAPS_od

RAPS_od Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have to eat before I drink. I usually stick to Pinot Noir, but occasionally have a dark beer. I used to love vodka - I thought she was my friend! But after the last few times of vodka trying to kill me, I had to leave our friendship behind, sadly.

17. WJP1055

WJP1055 Type 1 · Active Member

Hi. I've tried various types of alcohol over the years [email protected], now 65). These days I enjoy a bottle of red wine in the evenings or a G&slimlineT. Unfortunately, beer and lager are out as my BG climbs steeply after a single pint. I did try Holsten Pils this summer and discovered that one 440ml can had little effect on by BG. However, two cans did push my BG up though not as much as other lagers. I stick to having a Pils after a round of golf or at a BBQ but never more than one. Red wine is now my favourite tipple. I never have a hangover! I don't take extra insulin for the alcohol.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook