mrsa diabetics and pets

LAURA54

I am a type 2 diabetice and diet only, and I have a cat that is being treated for MRSA, should there be any concerns about my health, I have been advicsed to wash my hands when I touch him, and not to come in contact with him if I have to go to hospital at any time. Also my local cattery may not want to look after him when we go on holiday? Is this a common problem and should my GP be told?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Got to admit I didn't know that cats could get MRSA!! The important thing is to wash hands thoroughly after touching cat.Try and keep cat away from your clothes especially if you are going to the hospital that day.Do you have antibacterial hand gel.This is useful but does not mean not washing your hands but can be useful to use after you leave the house.If it is the same progression in cats as in humans once it has had swabs that are all clear then everything will go back to normal.
I would mention it to your GP and see if there is any other advice he/she can give you on the subject.

Tony_Holden

Dislikes
Mills and Boon books, hip hop music, New Labour.
AFAIK we all carry the bugs for MRSA and the like around with us on our skin, it's just if they get introduced into a wound or suitable site that we have problems. If you have any breaks in the skin it is worth keeping them clean and just carrying out a normal hygiene routine. it is probably worth getting a decent anti-bacterial handwash and using it on a regular basis.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I've a vet brother, I'll ask him about the implications for MRSA in cats

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'd be interested to find out too. I had MRSA 5 years ago and only just survived it.

All the best,

fergus