Mum of a newly diagnosed Type 1 Toddler

lisba1

Hello everyone,

So good to find this forum and can't wait to get posting and to learn from others with Type 1's, especially parents of little ones. Our 2 year old daughter was diagnosed last Saturday in hospital with ketoacidosis. It's been a total rollercoaster for us and a massive learning curve.

She's on novorapid and levemir injections 4 times a day in total and we're measuring her blood sugar levels 6-8 times. Blood checks are now a doddle but injections are still a battleground - hoping to get some tips from others on how to deal with everything as it all feels quite overwhelming at times!

Her blood sugars are still all over the place (she's eating like a horse now she's back home and seems to be eating constantly which makes it all the trickier!), though are coming down overall. We hope to get it as under control as is possible with a 2 year old :)D) as soon as we can - and look forward to learning lots from all your combined experience!

Best wishes,
Lis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
hello and welcome, I'm sorry that you have to be here. Reading your post brought back so many memories from the summer of last year when my little GD, aged 2 1/2 was diagnosed with Type 1 and in the HDU in hospital seriously ill with an oxygen mask and tubes coming out from everywhere, I fully understand how you are feeling, it is such a big shock, but it will get easier, honestly :) , but it will take time. kids are tough little cookies, its the family that seem to find it so much more difficult.

take care with my very best wishes RRB

lisba1

Thanks Robinredbreast,

Really appreciate you taking time to reply. We're doing better this week - you're right, it's the little people who find it easier than we do lots of the time - she's already trying to do her own blood checks and injecting her teddies with pencil-insulin injections! We still have the odd moment of 'how could this happen to a two-year old?' and struggle with the permanency of the condition but we're thanking our stars that it wasn't worse and also that we have such good care.

Would love to hear more about how your GD (and parents/carers) copes with it if you ever have time - it seems like a whole different ball game when it comes to toddlers, especially ones in the 'terrible two's'!

Many thanks again and best wishes to you (and your GD).

Lis

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
As a mother and grandmother, I feel fo you. you definitely need a support group.
Although I am not 100% in agreement with diabetes UK, I do believe their support groups are helpful. Search the DUK website.
Hana