mums to be - how are we getting along?

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
hi all, I'm gina and I'm 26 weeks , due to have a little boy in february and very excited as he'll be my first.
I'm an insulin dependent MODY had diabetes 18 years.

Would be good to share how we are all getting on.

My pregnancy wasn't planned, and my hba1c was high at conception so I spent the first few months very scared something would go wrong. But he is still here with everything seeming to be healthy and normal so far, finger's crossed.

I've been trying very hard to get my bg's within the stated targets but I find that if they're low enough to meet the targets they can go too low, so I've been suffering with hypos on a daily basis and that's been a bit of a hassle, feel like I can't really relax and get on with anything as there's this constant worry about going hypo...especially in the afternoon where the pregnancy hormones begin to wear off so the insulin suddenly becomes much more potent. Also I am losing my hypo awareness so sometimes getting down to 2.5 or so before I realise what's going on...eek! Work have been good about it though and let me reschedule my day to avoid doing important stuff during hypo danger time.

Also I am finding that I just wanna stuff my face (and inject insulin to compensate) which has lead to over injecting sometimes - bit of a nightmare trying to balance it all..

But so far little baba seems fine which is the only thing that matters, really - I don't really mind it being a bit tough for me so long as baba is ok.

Just worried he will grow big for dates and get stuck on the way out, or something!

Hope all you other mums are doing okay, and that your babies are fine.

sugar2

Good to hear things are going well with baby AC. I am not expecting myself at the moment..(and don't plan to be again!), but wanted to to say that for me, on both occasions, I suffered with hypos, becasue I couldn't stay in the targets for more than 5 minutes! Pregnancy hormones are great aren't they!

The good news is, that diabetes wise, the 3rd trimester was more stable...far fewer hypos. Pregnancy wise, well the 3rd trimester can be "fun" but that is the same for every expectant Mum.

February will be here in no time...I bet you can't wait!

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Thanks sugar2 so it's not only me who finds the targets completely unrealistic then! I only seem to meet them on the way up to something higher or the way down to hypoland. Got to the stage now where if I don't go hypo at least once a day I get worried that I'm running them too high!

Keep thinking 'so long as baby's ok I'm ok' but it is getting very distracting and time consuming, I've become obsessed with it all and thoroughly fed up, but will all be worth it in the end/

Thanks
AC