murph524/newcastle diet

murph524

first day sat 17th Aug bloods= 10.3
weight 13.6
i bought the asda shakes, 200 calories per shake made up with skimmed milk, I'm having 3 shakes a day with my veg allowance at night,First day not to bad, you also have to drink 3 liters of fluids a day,

second day 18th Aug bloods= 9.2
weight 13.3 3lb loss
woke up with a really sore head,back to bed twice through the day, very tired, made a soup for supper,went to bed early.

3rd day 19th Aug bloods= 9.3
weight 13.2 1lb loss total = 4lbs
woke up 10 mins before alarm feeling great, 3 shakes for the day with salad at night with a fat free dressing,

4th day bloods= 8.8
weight 13.1 1lb loss total= 5lbs
another day,woke 15 mins before alarm,
2 shakes down so far, made a cabbage soup for supper(really tasty)
also bought some green teas to drink, with the 3 liters of water you have to drink you will be at the toilet quite often, just hope my bladder starts to hold a bit more.
just off to walk the dog then back to drink my last shake

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Great start! Well done.

I'm already looking forward to the next update.

Cricket Lover

Great Start Murph

I am finishing my Newcastle diet today after 8 weeks, has been hard at times, especially with social occasions, but apart from that I have found it relatively easy to stick to! I have also included as much exercise as I can, it has really helped me, swimming has been good & try to also get to the gym.

Good luck you will feel better as time goes on :)

murph524

5th day bloods = 8.3
weight 13.0 1lb loss

My alarm goes off at 06.15, up i get, kettle on, i quite look forward to my green tea, jasmine this time.
I did not have my breakfast shake until 10am, its normally about 9.00, i try to have my lunch one at about 1.30/2.00.
I need to try and keep up the water,still quite hard but i does keep the hunger pangs at bay.

6th day bloods= 7.9
weight 13.1 1lb GAIN *** I presume its a bit of water retention

7th day bloods= 8.0
weight 13.0 1lb loss first week weight loss = 6lbs

feeling a bit tired this morning and the thoughts of a bacon roll on my mind.
Still forgetting to keep up with the water
That's twice now i have not had my evening shake, but i presume 200 less calories is only a good thing

But that's the first week over, it was not as bad as i thought it would be,apart from giving up my wine for 8 weeks. but hey ho.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Morning

Bloods are good. 6lbs weight loss..nearly a pound a day!
I would make sure you have all the shakes for the vitamins and minerals.

Could you put the water in some 2litre bottles in the fridge so you know that by the end of the day the bottles need to be empty?
Have you found any good vegetable meals for the evening?

Keep up the good work and keep the updates coming!

murph524

Hi cara

I do fill up 4 500ml bottles of water and take them with me in the car,but when i am busy at work you just forget to have a drink,then its an hour later and you realize you have not had a sip,and trying to drink a large amount of water in one go is not the best,but i'am sure it will just get easier.

As to missing the odd shake or two, i do take a multivitamin each morning so i hope that should cover it.

my meal that i have at night ( the thing that i really look forward to ) has been my veg allowance made into a soup with a knorr veg stock pot made up with 500 ml of water and i added some garlic granules , very tasty with sliced cabbage or mushrooms,and it gives you two bowls full, very filling, also 250 grms mixed veg cooked in oven or stir fried using water,i have been adding a sprinkle of balsamic vinegar to the veg, makes it taste slightly better, tonight i am going to try for a mushroom curry,so i'm off to scroll the internet for recipe ideas. I think once i find 5 or 6 things that i like i will just have them.

Last week i did not exercise that much,so this week i will try to get more in, i know exercise takes down your bg for a few hours, but i wonder will it take down my fasting blood sugars.

ellibobs

hi, I am interested in trying the Newcastle diet. Is it essential to use shakes or can you just restrict your calorie intake to 800 calories day?

murph524

Hi.
I was under the impression that the reason you had the shakes was to make sure that you received all the nutrients and vitamins,
but that's only what i thought, i'm sure that someone will know for sure,
I'm using the asda shakes made up with skimmed milk, the weight's dropping off,but the numbers are not falling as fast as i would hope, i'm hoping to try and get some more exercise in, and see the numbers come down.

Good luck when you do start, it's quite hard for the first couple of days, but when your past them it's a lot easier.

lisa5466

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Feeling exhausted all the time
Hi Murph, I started this diet the day before you, Friday 16th August. I started at 164lbs and bloods 7.4. My weight loss fluctuated like yours last week & I found I'd gained a pound on Thursday I think it was. It's since come down again and my total first week weight loss was 5lb total, but the best part was that my fasting blood test was 4.7 after just one week!!
Can I ask if you are exercising at all? And have you strayed or are you managing to stick strictly to the diet?
I have wavered twice, but then sacrificed the last shake of the day when that happened to compensate for the extra calories, then I went for a run, so all in all I managed to keep within the 800 calories.
I'm aiming to stick it out for the full 8 weeks so it will be interesting to follow your progress too, and see if we are both running along the same track.
Good luck, and please keep updating.

murph524

Hi, lisa5466

It's good to see that there is other people doing the diet at the same time, my fasting bloods when i started where 10.3,sat they went down to 8.3, but today back to 8.7.

I have not been exercising that much, but i was trying to give it a week for my body to get used to the lack of food, i have a exercise bike, did 10 mins yesterday, going to start taking the dog to the park for a half hour walk per night, also 20 to 30 mins on exercise bike, i also have a multi gym in the house, but i wanted to lose the weight before i started to put on some muscle.

As to the diet i have been sticking to it very strictly, well i did have 300 grams of veg one day instead of the 250 grams aloud.

I am wondering what have you been doing with your tablets that you take ?

I am still taking the blood pressure and cholesterol tablets,
I was on 4 x sr metformin, which i came down to 3 the day before the diet,
I stopped the glimepiride that i was on, the doctor thought that with the lack of carbs in the diet that i might get some hypos
I was thinking of going back to taking the 4 metformin until my numbers came down.

But i would defo like to hear how you are getting on with your progress, Also any tips that i might not know, also any recipes?

hope to hear back from you

murph524

Hi,

What i have been using so far is for the soup, knorr veg stock pot, and garlic granules, for the salad, i added balsamic vinegar,
for the veg, i added sliced fresh garlic.

I would love to know what everybody has for there veg/salad allowance ?

murph524

Also forgot to mention i did a mushroom and onion curry,
I just used water then added curry powder, it was hot but a bit powdery, so i was going to buy some curry paste to see if that is better

mitsi5959

murph
i have avoid using any stock cubes, thinking they might have added salt, same as balsamic vinigar, has it got sugar in it, so is it ok to use prepared packet soups for flavourings, i ave been using lemon juice, chilli, ginger, i am missing my sprinkling of salt!!!!
fresh herbs taste nice in the soup

murph524

Hi misti,

you might have a point about the balsamic,i will need to find something else,

but for the veg stock, if you go on to the newcastle ( ncl ) website the recipes that they give you have beef stock and veg stock in them,

murph524

The start of the second week

8th day bloods = 8.3
weight = 12.11 3 lb loss
i didn't think i would have 3 lb loss after a week, thought it would be a pound at a time,

9th day bloods = 8.7
weight = 12.11
not to happy with the increase in the bloods, just wondering if the long lie in today has made a difference,

10th day bloods = 7.5
weight = 12.12
another 1 lb increase, sob, but delighted with the drop in the bloods, defo going in the right direction
I felt very hungry today mid afternoon even with drinking loads of water,
exercising a little bit more now, so that should help a little.

11th day bloods = 7.6
weight = 12.12
Half way through second week, everything seems to be going ok, i forgot to mention yesterday i had a stir fry ( dry fried ) with a sprinkle of Chinese five spice, very tasty.

has anybody else been having vivid dreams ? as i seem to be having a lot more clear dreams than before the diet started.

sunnshine1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck all.

I use Slim & Save products - much cheaper, and in my opinion, much tastier! I think the calorie/carb count is lower than the majority of the low carb shakes, but not Asda's own brand.

Instead of Knorr veg cubes, have a try of the Marigold Swiss Vegetable Bouillon (posh word for stock cube). I buy the organic one red/orange tub, but they have non-organic. It counts at 0.9 per 5g/250 ml serving and 10 cals - it doesn't have that MSG in it, and, therefore, so much better for you.

Am doing a similar diet, albeit not as strict, as also have 100g of any protein, plus 150ml of semi-skimmed milk for my cuppa. Have odd days when not so strict, ie, eat more protein and salads, but hey my weight is coming down and most importantly, my blood sugar levels. Also don't feel I am missing out.

My morning highs were 7.5 and am down to 5.0. want to get into the 4's. Hope I haven't put you off but this way suits me.

I have a lot of admiration to those of you who stick to it for the full eight weeks and let's hope our sugar levels are stabilised, if not reversed.

sparkyrich

I fancy having a go at this diet (reckon I'll have tried them all eventually) but I've a question that's confusing me. On the Newcastle site it says no dairy yet all the shakes I've seen (like slimfast for example) are made up using skimmed milk. Do you make your shakes with water? Or does it mean no extra dairy apart from the shakes? Sorry if I'm being nim but thought I'd best ask

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I would try this diet but not sure I'll stick to it as it is so strict. I am too confused about the carb content. I was looking at a slim fast product and it had about 26g of carb in a serving.

Also if the shake powder has any milk or lactose I can't have them anyway.
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App