My Atkins Life

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I dunno why but I thought I'd write a mini blog here about doing Atkins - something I thought I'd never see as a healthy way to lose weight but here I am, doing it, enjoying it (most of the time) and most importantly it's actually working!!

So I started last Wednesday after a massive carb blowout following my glucose and hba1c tests. That carb overload sent me to sleep not once, but twice - clearly not a good energy source.

Anyway, the first few days were faced with positive vigor. Fat and protein shop completed, bank account drained on meats and cream!

The food I made was heavenly and I savoured every bite. This wasn't hard at all.

Until I got to day 4. The craving for sweet stuff really kicked in and I was desperately in search of something to curb the carb craving. I eventually settled for Turkish yoghurt laced with sweetener and cinnamon with a cinnamon coffee. It did the trick and kept me full up for hours! I also baked a cinnamon cheesecake but without a base as nuts are contraband for the initial two weeks of the diet.

So apart from missing nuts and strawberries, I'm doing ok.

Today is Sunday and I was curious to see what the dreaded scales would say. I was pleasantly surprised to learn I'd dropped 3kg in four days. Pretty good in my book! I know a lot of that will be water weight but it's still weight off in my view. I can't wait now to weigh again on Wednesday.

My major concern was I may be suffering from metabolic syndrome as my weightloss on low carb had really slowed down. Dr Atkins says if weightloss is minimal during induction, it's a good sign of metabolic syndrome so I'm taking this good loss as a positive sign I do not have it. Time will tell but so far so good...

Deb x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Deb i ate fat when the cravings hit, you need quite a bit of fat

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I struggle with fat on it's own. I can manage cream cheese but that's carby. I can't see me eating coconut oil on it's own. What fat did you eat?

I'll be better once out of induction when nuts are on the menu and I can make brownies and fat bombs! Can't wait....

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow 3kg is loads! Well done :D

Did you get the result of your GTT?

Yes it was considered high but I knew that anyway and I think it was slightly skewed by low carb. Hba1c was well and truly prediabetic so I'm focussing on improving that!

Meringues sound delicious! Especially with a strawberry (just can't stop thinking about strawbs!!) I'm going to make scandi's ice cream today without fruit and have with jelly.

Feeling very positive today :) :) :)

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankfully today was so much better than yesterday and I think the weigh in did the trick to give my motivation a boost. 3kg off in a few days! I was shocked. I'm hoping it carries on like this but a bit of research online threw up some case studies where initial loss was amazing and then stopped.

Anyway, I truly enjoyed eating every bit of crunchy fat on my lamb chops at lunchtime and the creamy spinach and garlic butter that accompanied it.

My sweet treat today was sugar free jelly with a dollop of cream and coffee. I was kept full for hours on that and an hour's BG was a mere 5.0. So that's a keeper.

Dinner was just a chicken and cheese salad but was souped up with a homemade creamy dressing. It quite possibly was the best salad ever!! I'm going for second helpings tomorrow for lunch. :)

I have to say, this does not feel like depravation or a tall task at all. I can't tell you how much I hope I successfully lose the poundage through this way of eating....

X

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Put more butter in veg , olive oil over stuff. Bullet proof coffee, fat bombs
Google the terms and I also ate coconut creamed block which I found ok

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Jack!

I've got a load of fat bombs in the fridge but can't eat them til after induction phase as nuts are banned. Can't wait!!!

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Finally! The ketosis stick changed colour...not by much but a sign all the same. Let's get busy with some fat burning!

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bad night in the Mcgee household with me up for two hours with a wrenching gut. I have a feeling taking psyllium husk at night was the reason - perhaps not enough water with them caused the pain? Who knows.

Finally got back to sleep at 5am but woken up at 6.30 by my first born. This morning's fasting reading was 6.5 so higher than I'd like but not a shock given the above.

I'm very excited about testing ketones before bed to see if it gets any darker. This could be my latest obsession! ;)

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks again Jack - you're the font of all knowledge ;)

Curlytops

Hi, I have been told by my GP that I need to lose weight and fast or I will be on medication in a years time. He has been monitoring me as a prediabetic for many years and has recently told me that I now come within diabetic range! He advised that I cut carbs completely and I am on day 4 of doing just that. The weight seems to be dropping already but is this sustainable?

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I have been told by my GP that I need to lose weight and fast or I will be on medication in a years time. He has been monitoring me as a prediabetic for many years and has recently told me that I now come within diabetic range! He advised that I cut carbs completely and I am on day 4 of doing just that. The weight seems to be dropping already but is this sustainable?

Hi curly!

Well done you! Have you got the Atkins book? If not, I highly recommend reading it as it explains what you need to know. Failing that there's the Atkins website.

I believe if you monitor carbs and follow his recommendations throughout the hour stages, you can keep it off. It's the same with all diets really.

It's good to hear a doc is recommending cutting carbs as most don't!

Best of luck

D xxxx

Curlytops

Thank you! I have downloaded a copy of his book onto my iPad! Yet to read it!! Feeling a bit hungry today but still persevering..... Off to Zumba tonight so trying to add some cardio into my routine......

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you! I have downloaded a copy of his book onto my iPad! Yet to read it!! Feeling a bit hungry today but still persevering..... Off to Zumba tonight so trying to add some cardio into my routine......

Main thing to remember is you need to eat a lot of fat. If you eat too much protein, it will stop the fat burning and you want to optimise this as much as possible.

And stop eating when you feel satisfied.

20g of carbs from mainly veg
Fruit and nuts are banned for two week induction but if you've gone through this then start with OWL.

Best of luck!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi Deb, you probably know this already, but I have read if you cut your keto sticks in half down the length of them, they still work so you get two for the price of one.

Reactions: 4 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is a blooming EXCELLENT idea!!!!

Mind you, good old home health do 100 for about £3.50 but I'm all for halving the investment!

For the record - I had no intention of re-ordering but this way will double the testing period.

:)