My brother, metabolic syndrome & the ketogenic diet

JenniferG

My brother is just over 300 lbs (at 5' 11"). He's got mostly visceral/abdominal obesity, as the layer of subcutaneous fat over his tummy is fairly thin and skin is tight.

As you can probably guess he's very insulin resistant, and his triglycerides of 400 mg/dL and HDL of 29 mg/dL strongly reflects this -- sorry I don't know how to convert this to the units the UK uses, but he's at very high risk for heart attack with those numbers. I am really concerned about his health, and so is he. We'll be getting his HOMA-IR soon to see how bad his insulin resistance is, but the Trigs/HDL ratio kinda clues us in, and the fact that our mother, her father, and myself all have/had metabolic syndrome, diabetes, hypothyroidism, gout; my brother is fortunate that he has a golden pancreas and can wake with blood glucose under 100 mg/dL still -- but I see it creeping up slowly (he's 45). My mother's father died of heart attack at around 65 -- I'm concerned my brother might have a heart attack in the near future the rate he is going.

He's done low carb in the past before, and liked the diet, but without much instruction. He's lost weight with it in the past, when he was less insulin resistant. Now it's harder for him; frankly he's eating entirely too much protein which isn't allowing his insulin levels to drop sufficiently. He needs to learn about the ketogenic diet, moderate his protein, track his macronutrients each day with an app, etc..

My brother has had ADHD as well as dyslexia since he was a youth, and therefore doesn't read very well. He's also not the very scientific type.

I have been trying to get him to read Keto Clarity -- he has a lot of interest in ketogenic diet, but he's just so busy and reading is so slow for him. He says he likes listening to audio podcasts however.

So I am wondering if anyone knew of the very best podcasts he could listen to, to get him going? I haven't listened to many so I don't know which ones are best for ketogenic diet -- I mostly read books about low carb, keto, fasting etc. [The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, Keto Clarity, The Obesity Code, The Complete Guide to Fasting, Gary Taube's books, etc..]

I was thinking about 2KetoDudes what do you think? Is there a better introductory podcast series?

http://2ketodudes.com/archives.aspx

EDIT: Or maybe I should just spend the $20 and buy the audiobook of Keto Clarity, for him? Jimmy Moore actually does the audio for this one.