My BS

shadow

Have been weird today.
Morning=11.7
Before midday meal=5.1 (Started feeling sweaty and weak.)
Before evening meal=23.9

I wonder what it will be later?

Claire

Hi Shadow how are you doing?

It's true that the reason you feel bad at 5 is because your body isn't used to being in "normal" figues. The first week I was on insulin was horrible because after being in the 20s all the time I came crashing down into the normal range and my body thought my blood sugar was too low even though it was actually more or less right. I remember shaking all day for about the first week, but the good news is it gets better and now that I am OK most of the time I only feel bad at about 3.7.

What does it say on your insulin cartridge? It might be Novorapid or Novomix or Lantus or Levemir. If you are supposed to be injecting twice a day it will probably be Novomix, if you are supposed to be injecting throughout the day you'll probably have two different insulins: Novomix with Lantus or Levemir.

Claire

That's the one I started on. So you are supposed to inject before breakfast and dinner? Is that what your nurse told you?

The reason you were so high before dinner could be that your morning insulin ran out too early - so it might be that you need more in the morning - or it could be that you ate too much sugary or starchy stuff for lunch and during the afternoon and the insulin couldn't cope with it. What did you have for lunch and snacks?

shadow

Yes i inject before breakfast and dinner.

Well i had a a packet of quarvers about 11.00am/ish.
Then for midday lunch i had a sandwich.
Then about 2.00pm i had a couple of little chocolate bars.
Then for my evening meal i had pasta with microwavable sauce to put on top.

Claire

I would guess the chocolate bars probably threw things out;)! Could you try fruit instead? I know it's boring but it would work better! Or your quavers seemed to be OK - you weren't high at lunch. Chocolate really is the worst thing for your blood sugar.

It can be really difficult to get things right with two injections a day. I'm on 4 a day now and it's much easier. If you change to that, which you probably will in the future when you're managing better, then you can eat chocolate again. So it's not forever that you will feel deprived.

On the positive side, you were perfect before lunch! So whatever you had for breakfast and mid morning snack seemed to work OK - maybe stick with this tomorrow and see if it works again? Once you find stuff that works OK, you can stick with it so things aren't as stressful.

Claire

I inject with every meal and then at bedtime.

I have thought - for snacks, you could try ham, or chicken (without breadcrumbs is better) or cheese if fruit is a bit too boring - those foods all have lots of protein but not much carbohydrate, so they won't mess you up like chocolate. Good luck with tomorrow, if you want to let us know how it goes someone here should be able to help.

lahdida

Hey Im new to this whole forum thing but feel I need to talk bout my diabetes it has really been getting me down and I was recently hospitalised for two weeks.Like yourself my blood sugars have been all over the place 7.8 this morning,11.0 pre lunch,3.0 and hour after lunch and 30.0 before dinner Its crazy ..has anybody any advice please?I get really anxious about my diabetes its taking over my life

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by shadow</i>
<br />Have been weird today.
Morning=11.7
Before midday meal=5.1 (Started feeling sweaty and weak.)
Before evening meal=23.9

I wonder what it will be later?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

lahdida

hi I take a fixed amount of levemir am/pm and a fixed amount pre meals ,I have heard of the whole carb counting but am a bit confused ,i read for every 15 g of carbs 3 units is needed is this correct?and also if Im high pre meals how much more do I take?thank you so much for replying your help means the world to me

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SarahQ</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by lahdida</i>
<br />Hey Im new to this whole forum thing but feel I need to talk bout my diabetes it has really been getting me down and I was recently hospitalised for two weeks.Like yourself my blood sugars have been all over the place 7.8 this morning,11.0 pre lunch,3.0 and hour after lunch and 30.0 before dinner Its crazy ..has anybody any advice please?I get really anxious about my diabetes its taking over my life

Do you have a fixed amount of insulin/meal or do you carb count?
If it's fixed learn to carb count and adjust your insulin to what you eat with adjustment for high or lows calculated into the equation sp!