My Carnivore Diet: What I Learned From Eating Only Beef, Salt And Water

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have noticed more and more that the Graun no longer opens these articles for comments which is a shame...could have been fun...

Last edited:

ghost_whistler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
But his 'healthy' diet had added to his weight, what am I missing? Beer and crisps for scurvy, well that's a new one on me.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
This follows the usual pattern of expecting your body to adapt within days, against a lifetimes worth of eating. No one in their right mind would think that you could even go from a settee (couch for the others) and run even 1500 metres (try it, let alone a 5000 metres plus). Or step into a boxing ring on no training and do even 3 rounds, most would be finished within 1 round. Why would he or anyone think you could go from A to B with no discomfort. Exactly the same mistake has been performed by Chris Powell who compared 2 brothers on his weight loss programme; one brother was injured so couldn't' do the workouts, Chris put him on a low carb diet I think over 2 weeks. The low carb brother had no energy so low carb was seen as failure - again no adaption (the brother who ate "normal" and exercised just pipped his low carb brother in weight loss). Again similar, the Van Tulleken twin Doctors tested one of them on low carb with no adaptation, which of course under these conditions the carb burner won, surprise. WHY DO THEY NEVER test against an adapted person or allow say a month of change.

This gentleman had at least 2 vital bits of information from Meat Health and Mikhaila Peterson, so he knew about the adaptation.

I have been doing all meat and fish days recently and love it. not ready to go full carnivore as, I am in the middle of my heavy weights experiment still, but I think I might eventually go weekends all meat.

At least people who would like to investigate have some references. Rant over, I will get to my 3 rd workout since being fasted 42 hours - strange what you can do once adapted.

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't read such rubbish as it would raise my stress levels! So I don't know if there is a link in there to the Jordan Peterson interview, if not, this is it:

I myself have started an (almost) carnivore trial a couple of weeks ago, in hope that eating meat/fish/eggs only (plus spices and occasionally a little veg) would calm down my overeating and reverse the weight gained in the last 8 months or so (both due to medication). Tentatively, I can confirm that the first 2 weeks were a resounding success in terms of both satiety and fat loss. Therefore I have decided to continue what I'm doing for at least another 2 months, and then take it from there. Some people have been doing it for years...

Reactions: Indy51 and Guzzler

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't read such rubbish as it would raise my stress levels! So I don't know if there is a link in there to the Jordan Peterson interview, if not, this is it:

I myself have started an (almost) carnivore trial a couple of weeks ago, in hope that eating meat/fish/eggs only (plus spices and occasionally a little veg) would calm down my overeating and reverse the weight gained in the last 8 months or so (both due to medication). Tentatively, I can confirm that the first 2 weeks were a resounding success in terms of both satiety and fat loss. Therefore I have decided to continue what I'm doing for at least another 2 months, and then take it from there. Some people have been doing it for years...
Please continue to keep us updated I for one would be very interested. I've been trying "lazy carnivore" but haven't really lost more than a couple of pounds after having ben stalled for 18 months so don;t think its cutting it much for the weight but it makes cooking and eating such a simple process I may well carry on. I think I'll do a stricter beef and water ( oh no what about coffee!) trial for October and see how I get on.

Reactions: Larissima

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please continue to keep us updated I for one would be very interested. I've been trying "lazy carnivore" but haven't really lost more than a couple of pounds after having ben stalled for 18 months so don;t think its cutting it much for the weight but it makes cooking and eating such a simple process I may well carry on. I think I'll do a stricter beef and water ( oh no what about coffee!) trial for October and see how I get on.

I'll be happy to! BTW, I still drink coffee (black, 2 mugs) and green tea, and eat a large variety of meats.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
It's better that I don't comment on that Guardian story.

ghost_whistler

what specifically were your meals?

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
what specifically were your meals?
Breakfast: 4 slices of bacon, 2 eggs fried in a little butter or duck fat (every day the same)
Lunch: tin of tuna / tinned sardines / grilled chicken wings / lamb chops...
Dinner: roast beef / chicken/ salmon/ pork belly/other meat + sometimes a small salad or cooked veg

ETA: Forgot to mention I also eat organ meats, such as liver and heart. Because I like the taste, and so does my cat!

Last edited:

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I came to post a grumble about this article but fortunately checked first to see if anyone else had already commented.

1. Is it just me? I had a very negative emotional response to the picture of the author posing with a handful of meat (er...I mean...). My instincts are not always accurate but are generally pretty good. Comes into the trust and throw category.
  2. What a total incompetent. Starts an impulse eating plan with no forward planning and wonders why it doesn't go smoothly. Including ringing up a neighbour to ask if she has any beef in her freezer. Why didn't he have beef in his freezer (assuming he had the foresight to own one).
  3. Irregular eating pattern - relying on beef sticks rather than the suggested roasted ribs and ground beef. Nothing in the article to say that he even tried to roast the ribs. Mainly bragging that he didn't know how to cook beef. Suggests someone who does not cook for himself.
    "I’ve never actually cooked a steak, but happily a friend offers to come and cook for me. My apartment isn’t very well ventilated and we manage to set the fire alarm off. I go to bed."
  4. Carb flu - as already noted going from a mixed diet to full on ketogenic can lay you out for a couple of weeks whilst your body adapts to the new fuel. This reads as a classic study of carb flu.
  5. All or nothing approach - as already noted the woman proposing the diet adopted a phased approach of eliminating foods one by one and finally settling on beef only. If she was previously eating beef and green vegetables she would already be keto adapted.
  6. Do people remember back to when the Atkins Diet was all the rage? This is almost a direct rip off from the articles posted then about people trying Atkins for a week and deciding that it was rubbish.
These kind of articles are just intended to stir up the readership. Which they do. However they then hang around for people to use as a reference. It was in the Guardian. It must be true!

I'm now contemplating if it is worth the effort to write to the Guardian. Probably not.

My wife's comment?
"What a Richard{cough}. Ignore him. He's just paid by the article."

Edit: for more scaremongering
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2003/sep/21/society.politics
LCHF is "potentially deadly".

Edit 2: from the above link
"Professor Astrup said: "They start to suffer headaches, muscle cramps and diarrhoea. This is consistent with a carbohydrate deficiency. They simply do not get enough carbohydrate to supply the tissues with blood sugar. That is why the organs start to malfunction." The minimum daily requirement of carbohydrate for an adult is 150g a day. On the Atkins diet, carbohydrate intake is restricted to one fifth of that level."
Noting that this is allegedly apparently six months or more into the diet, although this isn't clearly stated.
Does anyone here not consider the above to a blatant lie?

Last edited: