My Dad wont listen!

Angela(NZ)

Dislikes
liars
My 68 yr old dad has just be diagnosed with Pre-diabetes, and high blood pressure, My dad has been given pills and advice re his high blood pressure but nothing mentioned about the diabetes part! have tried to explain to him about his diet needing to change, he drinks beer and smokes (he plays golf so excercise is sorted), but he wont hear of it! have just had to let him go and do his own thing, its hard because i want him to be healthy, but its his body.
Feeling really frustrated!
just wanted to vent.

MaryJ

Vent away Angela.

Must be very upsetting to see your Dad's lack of interest in his health. Give him time to accept what he has been told, he may come round, he may not?

You could maybe buy him a meter and try to communicate the whole fasination of the affect foods have on his BG.

Mary

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Is there any chance that you could have a word with his doctor and ask them to stress the importance of changing his diet and lifestyle to him?

Unbeliever

Angela(NZ) said:
My 68 yr old dad has just be diagnosed with Pre-diabetes, and high blood pressure, My dad has been given pills and advice re his high blood pressure but nothing mentioned about the diabetes part! have tried to explain to him about his diet needing to change, he drinks beer and smokes (he plays golf so excercise is sorted), but he wont hear of it! have just had to let him go and do his own thing, its hard because i want him to be healthy, but its his body.
Feeling really frustrated!
just wanted to vent.

My dad at around the same age wouldn't listen either. On he other hand he received almos no advice and'or help from his GP. who jus old him i was an inevitable sign of aging.
The inevitable and ignored sign of aging evenually led to trans-ischaemic episodes and dementia. It was almost impossible to have this diagnosed as he knew something was wrong and kept moving around {my mother was dead by his time} to each of the family in turn . Eventually he was misdiagnosed as having Alzheimers and STI:LL no treatment for the diabetes.
His behaviour was so dangerous for himself , mostly due to acute short term memory loss that he went into a residential Home. He led them a merry dance there too. Constantly setting off for walks and forgetting where he was or supposed to be.
On hese outings he would but Mars bars as he was always hungry and go in the pub for a few pints .
He also had quite a weak chest. One day a cold went o his chest . He didn' ge immediate medical atention and had a MASSIVE stroke.Iit didnt kill him but he was immediaely put on insulin.
he had to move to a diffferent sort of home but lived for another 12 years. he continued to have "mini-strokes" but his menal condition did not deteriorate further. he always knew he family and as a witty and sociable ex=publican still manged to enrich the lives of those around him BUT it was absolute hell for the family. he was happy enough most of the ime bu it was necessary to
keep a consant eye on what was happening a the Home as he couldn't ell us and there were disagreemens over his reatment thefs , even some neglect.
You should tell your dad that if he won't think of himself - and if he has been healthy unil now he probably thinks it is nothing imoportant= he should think of you. If he doesn't look after himself he oo could be hit by a bolt from the blue.
My father was not overweight , eat healhily {until things sarted to deteriorae] and walked miles every day. vascular problems don' show . so easily.
At least Drs do a little more these days. I was shocked to hear from a friend in his seventies that he nurse was sill peddling this inevitability suff . Whether true or not it won' help anyone to avoid an old age in a wheelchair.
Maybe you could go wih him a his net check up and make sure the possible side effects are made clear to him.

C

chris lowe

Hi Angela, my dad was just the same and wouldn't adjust his diet, take his pills properly or do anything else his doctor or anyone else told him. If it's any help my dad lived well into his 90's and was as stubborn as ever. Some people just don't want to accept that they have a serious illness and think ignoring it is a case of out of sight out of mind.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel your frustration, my parents live with us due to health problems and are both Type 2. Mum listens to a degree but Dad doesn't. He eats constantly, all day, every day. Rich teas with his cuppa, cornflakes with his insulin, toast when he does Mum's breakfast, cake and/or biscuits late morning, soup plus a sandwich plus plus plus for lunch, more tea and cake/biscuit mid afternoon, I cook tea which I try to keep balanced and varied then he grazes all evening.

He is 88 in a couple of weeks time, has had thyroid cancer over the winter and frankly, I think he just doesn't give a **** about it now! He was diagnosed 25 years or so ago but apart from cutting out sugar in drinks, switching to reduced sugar jam etc he refuses to make changes. They both have neuropathy, mum had a stroke 7 1/2 years ago and he has had a recall to hospital from his recent retinopathy scan so they are not happy with that obviously.

You can feed them all the information you like but in my experience if they won't buy into it, they won't buy into it. Don't beat yourself up about it. I even had our GP send a community matron out at her suggestion to try and help and she washed her hands of them in a couple of months because they were not changing anything!!!!!

Ho hum! But he does keep neat little books with umpteen blood sugar readings in them because the consultant told him to.......... not that he has EVER made any adjustments as a result, but he has his little books of readings. What a waste of strips, I am flabbergasted that the practice continues to issue them to be honest.

Ali

kentish maid

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who tell me I don't need to test my blood
My nephew was diagnosed type 1 he thought he could cure himself would not listern to anyone he was in complete denial.Unfortuntually he has had a quadrupel heart by pass and has lost one leg it also cost him his marriage no wonder i am low carbing and watching my blood results.

Unbeliever

Interesting point about your dad and his strips Ali. Some people seem to feel that testing their own blood is a treatment in itself.

Hardly surprising as the proper use of them was probably never explained. The doctor is probably reluctan to upset him by stopping them.
I suppose when people reach a certain age any great change is probably more detrimental to health than contm=nuing on an unhealthy course.
My dad lived till 84 in spte of everything.. I am sure his last years would have been less painful had he had appropriate treatmen earlier.

The Ops father is abou ha same age as mine was when diagnosed. I don't think they have reached the point of no return at tthat stage. I thnk there definitely is one though. It is hard o accept that there is nothing to be done - but would we really wan o put the very elderly through wha some of us go through.

I often wonder why I bother - it is ust the thought of my family having to cope with an invalid.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My Mum is 94 and It's been a battle to get her to eat less carb. I managed to persuade her to switch to Burgen and reduce her intake to 2 slices per day. Her bg is only tested once per week and medics keep telling her that around 7 is fine.
I know realistically, that she probably has limited time left to develop more complications[ she has lost a bit of vision], but Why Oh why! do doctors and Nurses not recognise the dangers of high bg?
Hana

SouthernGeneral6512

Sorry to hear that Angela I was a stick the head in the sand merchant too and it has cost me so tell him to read some of the posts on here and see if he still enjoys his sugary foods and drinks :sick:

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I think you are right, the education wasn't there and to them blindly writing figures in a book was being compliant with the endo. The fact he thinks that a 6 is low and promptly shovels in more food regardless of what I say to him is somewhat irksome but he won't change. I don't indulge him with junk food so he goes and buys it himself and hides it in drawers and cupboards! Utter madness. We were recently sorting his sock draw and it was half full with breakaway bars, some half eaten........... go figure!

Ali