1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

My diabetes has gone

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by KittyKatty, Sep 22, 2016.

1. KittyKatty

KittyKatty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes. I saw my GP today for my now annual hba1c results. They remain at 31. They have been 31 at the last five or so tests in the 18 months. He seemed amazed, even baffled.

I told him I was mostly low carbs but occasionally had bread and potatoes. He told me "whatever it is you're going, it's working. I've never seen anything quite like it before." (really?)

He suggested I return in two years for another blood test.

But I have no plans to ever have cake, chocolate or biscuit again. I'm glad to have been free of their toxins for the past two years:)

Ironically I'm now worried that without the fear of diabetic complications, I might not keep to a strict diet and put on weight again. Crazy, I know.

• Winner Winner x 12
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  2. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

A very well done to you :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sauron

Sauron Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sounds like your doing an amazing job any blips will soon be sorted by yourself or the doctors

• Like Like x 2
  4. KittyKatty

Thanks people. But I'm actually still rather suspicious of the new diagnosis. I have a feeling it's kept at bay because I don't exhaust my pancreas as I used to. Also I'm an apple shape who has gone down 5 clothes sizes so I think less fat from the midriff helps.
    I'm going to do a week of bread, rice, pasta or potatoes with my meals and check my bloods. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  5. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

please do some writing and tell exactly what you have done along the Whole way ? you are amazing

do you do a lot of work-out or trekking or sports ..?

• Like Like x 1
    #5 Freema, Sep 22, 2016 at 7:46 PM
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  6. KittyKatty

I eat low carbs. I have cheated occasionally with potatoes or bread but absolutely no chocolate or biscuits for over two years. (I used to scoff whole birthday chocolate cakes from the supermarket :hungover: but have absolutely no interest in them now) I cook my meals from scratch, nothing processed. Just meat, vegetables, butter, cheese, eggs and nuts. If I make cauli or broccoli cheese I used ground almonds instead of flour. I drink water, diet coke/diet pepsi or full-cream coffee.
    Exercise is walking, nothing more :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

amazing am so happy for you <3

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

So long as you don't have BG spikes like the old days you'll be sorted, well done.

• Like Like x 2
  9. coby

coby Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Wow! You are amazing and so disciplined too

• Like Like x 2
  10. Nicksu

Nicksu Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That's what I'm aiming for - being able to say that I don't need any medication to control my blood sugars. As you say, discipline is the key - recognise you have been given a warning for the abuse you have put your body under - it told you it couldn't cope any more, and you dealt with it. Low carbs are the answer (and isn't it amazing being able to have cream when we have been told by the diet industry that it is bad for you?!). I love flavoured water too - couldn't go back to full sugar coke - yuk!

I'm a walker too, have changed my work hours so that I can get at least half an hour in every day.

You are an inspiration to those of us who are still on the journey.

• Like Like x 2
  11. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. dbr10

dbr10 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That's amazing. Congratulations. Very well done.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Jbicheno

Jbicheno Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well done you. From what you have said I am doing very similar to you and have lost over 4 stone and dropped 3 dress sizes. I test my blood regularly and it is always within NHS 'normal' range. Hopefully that will be reflected in my next HBA1C (my 2nd since diagnosis around 6 months ago). You are an inspiration.

• Like Like x 2
  14. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

And so are you :) Well done. Keep posting :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

@KittyKatty very well done. Keep posting, that should make sure you stay on the straight and narrow. Your GP probably hasn't seen anything like it as most people follow the official guidelines to eat carbs with every meal.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jo123

Jo123 · Well-Known Member

Very well done.
    Interesting to see what results you get this week.

• Like Like x 2
  18. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

I agree in the case of T1, but it is entirely possible to reverse T2 with a lot of hard work and perseverance, which is what the OP has done.

• Like Like x 1
  19. CherryAA

CherryAA Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That is amazing , so congratulations . Its a journey I hope to complete myself - including the dress sizes ( two down so far)

I do have one question though. If you have dropped five dress sizes and got rid of all medications you probably look and feel fantastic and better than you have done in years. Why do you even care how foods that were toxic to you behave now?. Surely even if the answer is you " could " eat them because you are " cured" - why would you want to open yourself up to the temptation of finding you can then eating more of them? even if you are free from diabetes, isn't that a potential path to the dress sizes expanding again?

If it were me I think I would leave them well alone. The carb cravings were the downfall for many of us. It sounds to me similar to a recovered alcoholic saying now I managed for five year without - one small drink won't hurt. So if you feel you must test to make sure you are fully recovered, please don't forget its just a test and then leave them in the garbage can again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Apologies for repeating myself, it is not my intention to put the dampeners on anybody's hard work but the fact remains, if you can eat 250 gms of carbohydrate each and every day without your BG going bonkers then you are indeed probably not diabetic. However, a lot of us will have to watch our carb intake for ever and no matter what medication we take.

Bit like dieting really, people will eat less than their BMR (which in turn will be less than what they were eating), lose weight (hopefully, not always clear cut) and then go back to their old habits and back goes the weight.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook