My Diabetic Cat is Low-Carbing With Good Results!

MelanieL

My Beautiful tabby boy, Beeswax was recently diagnosed with diabetes (I suspect he came out in sympathy with me!). The vet nurse thought I was bonkers when I asked if he should low carb, but the vet immediately agreed, and it meant that he is doing well on a tiny dose of insulin twice a day - apparently it is well known that diabetic cats have a better prognosis if they switch to a low-carb diet - amazing that there is more enlightenment in the veterinary community than in human medicine. Of course, the crime is that I've been feeding my cats carb-laden food for ten years, when they have no use for them at all. In fact, just as in humans, it's the food manufacturers who are stuffing their bank accounts at the expense of our animals' good health.

All five cats are now living happily without ingesting bought 'cat food', and the absence of carbs appears not to bother them at all.

Fingers crossed that as Beeswax looses weight, he will need even less insulin and will live a long and happy life.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Hurrah for Beeswax! Funny though that your vet advocates low carb for the cat, but human doctors won't do this for humans :D

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Excellent news about your cat. They're terribly resilient creatures, my aunty had one that was diagnosed diabetic aged 6, and lived to the grand old age of 18 on daily injections and whatever food was presented. No diet changes at all. Amazing.

kegstore

Dislikes
the_anticarb said:
Sounds just like the standards NHS advice then! :lol:
Well the cat lived in the US, and was perfectly happy until hit by a car. :(

But I must admit to not even knowing what the NHS standard advice is? I suspect I know what you're angling at but I've never encountered it myself. I think it probably depends where you live, like so many other things health-related...

Spiral

How do you low carb a carnivore?

Heavens above! We are surely not saying that the 20th century's love affair with carbohydrate has even resulted in feeding carbs to animals which have not evolved to eat them in that lovely wholesome canned and dried food :shock: :roll:

Biologically appropriate (raw) food (BARF) seems to be a bit of a revolution for pets (especially for cats), and in my experience feeding animals the food which they have evolved to eat has improved their health no end. This is what I have found with my cats, anyway.

Hope kitty is bouncing with vitality again.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Keg - I meant the standard NHS advice (as per Dafne) to make few diet changes and just inject insulin to cover the carbs. As opposed to the alternative option of eating less carbs and injecting less insulin.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Spiral said:

Heavens above! We are surely not saying that the 20th century's love affair with carbohydrate has even resulted in feeding carbs to animals which have not evolved to eat them in that lovely wholesome canned and dried food :shock: :roll:
Hi Spiral,

Unfortunately almost all pet foods these days are loaded with cereals to bulk them up - even the more expensive ranges like Iams contain typically only 25% meat and 75% carbohydrate-rich vegetables and cereals. When have you ever seen a cat eat vegetables - other than grass in order to make itself sick!

The rise in diabetes in cats and dogs is in direct proportion to the reduction in meat content in prepared pet foods!

Spiral

Dennis said:
Spiral said:

Hi Spiral,

Unfortunately almost all pet foods these days are loaded with cereals to bulk them up - even the more expensive ranges like Iams contain typically only 25% meat and 75% carbohydrate-rich vegetables and cereals. When have you ever seen a cat eat vegetables - other than grass in order to make itself sick!

The rise in diabetes in cats and dogs is in direct proportion to the reduction in meat content in prepared pet foods!

I know exactly what goes in to pet food, Dennis :shock: :shock: :shock: It isn't just diabetes that has increased in dogs and cats, they have developed numerous other long term health problems too. I find what is put in to pet food quite disturbing :shock: Sarcasm and toungue in cheek does not always come over in print :roll: :?

I find it unbelievable that the standard manufactured pet food you get from the supermarket for an animal which is an obligate carnivore contains grains and a high proportion of vegetable matter :shock: And most of it is stuff that isn't fit for human consumption.

About 10 years ago, I had a cat with perfectly healthy teeth (I know this because he had a scale and polish, which cost £125) but his gums were so ulcerated and inflamed he could not eat :cry: The vet suggested extraction :shock: I paid a small fortune for a battery of tests (FIV, leukemia etc) which did not find out what was wrong with him.

Eventually, a combination of homeopathic treatment and a raw food diet turned his oral health around. My vet disapproved of the raw food diet :shock: (a bit like carb counting and reduction benefiting diabetecs, eh?). But after well over £500 of investigation and treatment over a 6 month period, including steroids and antibiotics every 6-8 weeks :| his chronic kitty oral hygiene problems were solved mainly by changing his diet.

I found that a minimum of 50% raw food and (uncooked) bones was necessary to stop his gums breaking down again. His gums invariably broke down when I went away and left only supermarket canned food for the cat sitter.

At the time I was using recipies that came out of the Pitcairn book, "Natural Health for dogs and Cats". These recipes contanied grains (oats and polenta mostly), but were human quality raw food. They also got lots of eggs.

I got a bit lax eventually, after the cat concerned went out for a long walk from which he never returned :cry: I also became more concerned that I was feeding grains to obligate carnivores, but I have acquired more knowledge since then :)

Our current feline companions didn't like the food I had been making (high grain Pitcarn recipies), and as a vegetarian this was a real labour of loveto cook for teh ungateful cats :x :roll: So I went back to cans, but continued to feed them regular raw food - heart (beef or lamb) and chicken livers, which they love. But because of my caring responsibilities over the last 2-3 years I never got back in to the habit of the raw diet for the cats until recently.

We have 5 cats and 2 of them have recently had their teeth removed because of dental problems :( :oops: Since then, I have upped the proportion of raw food in their diet again.

I also have a local independent pet store that sells a frozen pure meat dog food - my cats get the rabbit and the turkey varieties of this food - and I have also discovered that Jolleys also sells it. I still feed them cans of supermarket chow, but they are getting a lot more biologically appropriate raw food these days and I'm working up to at least 50% again, which seemed to be the crucual figure for Pilchard.

Interestingly, when I was feeding them a completely home made diet, they didn't eat anywhere near as much food as they do when they are on the supermarket cans, even with the vegetable matter in it. I think the diet was a much better quality.

Doczoc

Must admit I was surprised by this thread, I though all cats ate low carb LOL They are carnivores after all!

Doczoc

kegstore said:
Excellent news about your cat. They're terribly resilient creatures, my aunty had one that was diagnosed diabetic aged 6, and lived to the grand old age of 18 on daily injections and whatever food was presented. No diet changes at all. Amazing.

I wouldn't dream of feeding a cat or dog anything other than a meat based diet. I think it's cruel.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Doczoc said:
kegstore said:

I wouldn't dream of feeding a cat or dog anything other than a meat based diet. I think it's cruel.

The other day I was at my son's and his two cats were being fed tit-bits of mature Cheddar Cheese.
Now I found that strange. They were loving it and wanting more. If I ever come back here again I want to be a cat....fed Mature Cornish Cruncher Cheddar every day...... :D Oh yes, and a large bowl of Guinness to wash it down :lol:

Doczoc

cugila said:
The other day I was at my son's and his two cats were being fed tit-bits of mature Cheddar Cheese.
Now I found that strange. They were loving it and wanting more. If I ever come back here again I want to be a cat....fed Mature Cornish Cruncher Cheddar every day...... :D Oh yes, and a large bowl of Guinness to wash it down :lol:

Now now Ken, I thought you didn't do fat! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Doc.

It isn't that I don't DO fat.....I just don't have a lot on me anymore. :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
WEll done Beeswax!
I asked my vet brother a while back about diabetic animals and he told me dogs get T1 and cats get T2 and he agrees with low carb for them especially cats, since they are not equipped to eat cereals anyway.
I'm a big "animal person"( 3 dogs,2cats) and appreciate how impotant our canine and feline family members are. Luckily all mine are healthy at the moment.
Hana

Spiral

Doczoc said:
kegstore said:

Have you ever read the list of ingredients on a can of catfood :shock: :shock: :shock: or a packet of kittie dry food :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hardly low carb :|

Spiral

cugila said:
Doczoc said:
kegstore said:

I had a cat who loved cheese. He would steal it if it was left unattended.

it really wasn't good for him. He came to me after having been abandoned (along with his brother) when the family moved house - they were left alone without food or water, when he came to me he was getting used to eating again. This experience left him with long term digestive problems. I realised pretty quickly that his digestive system could not cope with cheese or dairy (most cats don't tolerate dairy at the best of times), however much he loved it.

kegstore

Dislikes
I've had cats that love cheese too, and Marmite - must be the salt content which is terribly bad for them, maybe it's a love/hate thing as with humans?!

Are we really poisoning our feline friends by feeding them inappropriate food? I think not, unless you're giving them milk which does them no good whatsoever (and again they seem to like it). Beginning to see a pattern forming here...

Doczoc

kegstore said:
Are we really poisoning our feline friends by feeding them inappropriate food? I think not, unless you're giving them milk which does them no good whatsoever (and again they seem to like it). Beginning to see a pattern forming here...

Sadly, I agree