1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

My DN - A breath of fresh air

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by Daibell, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Just came back from an intermediate HBa1C review as my last test was 58 mmol; not good. This one 3 months later was 57 and still not good. We discussed insulin shots, carb counting and diet. To my surprise my DN suggested reducing carbs at all meals e.g. stopping the already small breakfast muesli and having an extra egg. Also stopping my lunch sandwich and just having the filling etc. Obviously also testing more often and trying to get the insulin dose optimal. I really was surprised and pleased to hear my DN push the low carb approach and I left having agreed with everything and knowing she will be providing good guidance to others. Perhaps the NHS really is changing although my complaint last week to the NHS website for providing very bad diabetes diet advice has produced a very weak reply i.e. it will be taken into account at the next content review. Meanwhile the Eatwell Plate and basing meals around starchy carbs remains in place.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  2. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Diabell, It is a real joy to see commonsense and professionalism in the helping professions. These persons are gems.
    Perhaps they need to also promote the lowering of carbs and the dismissal of the Eat Well plate (preferably into a blender and then poured down the sink)! So promotion of a better dietary model from within and without.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook