My DN - A breath of fresh air

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just came back from an intermediate HBa1C review as my last test was 58 mmol; not good. This one 3 months later was 57 and still not good. We discussed insulin shots, carb counting and diet. To my surprise my DN suggested reducing carbs at all meals e.g. stopping the already small breakfast muesli and having an extra egg. Also stopping my lunch sandwich and just having the filling etc. Obviously also testing more often and trying to get the insulin dose optimal. I really was surprised and pleased to hear my DN push the low carb approach and I left having agreed with everything and knowing she will be providing good guidance to others. Perhaps the NHS really is changing although my complaint last week to the NHS website for providing very bad diabetes diet advice has produced a very weak reply i.e. it will be taken into account at the next content review. Meanwhile the Eatwell Plate and basing meals around starchy carbs remains in place.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Diabell, It is a real joy to see commonsense and professionalism in the helping professions. These persons are gems.
Perhaps they need to also promote the lowering of carbs and the dismissal of the Eat Well plate (preferably into a blender and then poured down the sink)! So promotion of a better dietary model from within and without.