My evolving ND shake mix

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all - I hope everyone is well. The sun is shining here in the Pennines and it really is a beautiful day

I thought I'd write a post about how my Newcastle Diet shake mix has evolved.

Even though I'm nearly at the end of it, its such a good balanced shake I'll be continuing it as one of my meals for my maintenance diet. Being a shift-worker it makes for a quick, easy meal which keeps a 6'4" gentle giant like me sated for several hours.

My water mix stays the same at about 600 ml to which I add a good 'glug' of oil, till it floats about 1/16th inch on the top of the water (about 2 mm)

I'm using Cold Pressed Rapeseed Oil which has half the saturated fat of Olive Oil. Per 100ml its nutritional info is :

92 gr fat of which 5.6 gr saturates, 58 gr mono-unsaturates, 23 gr poly's and 22 mg (80% RDA) of Vitamin E

Next I add my fibre. I have tried psyllium husk but its very expensive so now I use a mix of flax-seed, chia & psyllium - I've struggled with the seeds as they make the mix very gritty but a week ago I had a brainwave ( yes .... they do sometimes still happen :) )

I was on the bus going for my first diabetic eye screening when the thought just hit me out of the blue ......... coffee grinder !!

When I got home I tried it - 4 mixed teaspoons of seeds blitzed for 10-15 seconds into a lovely powdery consistency. Tastes great in a shake. Sure you can still slightly 'feel' it but makes the shake way more palatable.

Not just in shakes, but I'll be using my 'coffee grinder' method to add seeds to other meals as well. I'm looking forward to trying it with omlettes when I start my LCHF maintenance diet, so it'll be a nice additional mix (almost a binder) for things like home made burgers. Sorry, I digress ......

Next I add my one slightly heaped scoop of shake mix. I'm using Impact Whey Isolate from MyProtein in Strawberry flavour

Finally on with the mix-head unit for my Nurti-Ninja and blitz away

Now, I've found that certainly with the Ninja (or like the Nutri Bullet type mixers) the shake will mix in about 5 seconds HOWEVER the real trick I've found is not to be in a hurry - You've got oil in there so you really need to give it plenty of time to properly emulsify. I give mine about 20 seconds and the result is a mouth-wateringly creamy and eminently drinkable meal, with fat for gallstones and low GI seeds for fibre to keep me regular on the toilet; and to keep me feeling like I've had a meal, not just a drink

Its taken a while for me to experiment and find the best way of making this shake but I'm now happy that I have something which gives me a head start on helping me care for my diabetes and more importantly to care for myself better

Reactions: 4 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Really nice idea specially the monotony of shakes and sweetness is getting to me so I mix coffee but your idea is so much better than just plain coffee

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What is the nutritional breakdown? How many calories in your shake.

Seems like it would be a good breakfast. :D

Excluding the oil, the shake itself works out a tad over 200 cals, about 204 I think