My experience with Dexcom G4!

Qemajlosmani

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello my friends. First of all i apologize for my bad english because it's not my first language.
1 month ago, i received Dexcom G4 for my 9 month daughter. I was excited and curious how does it work. And, honestly it was good choice. Every day now on is easier for me and my wife as we know every 5 minutes blood glucose of our daughter. Recently i was notified by dexcom transmitter to chage a sensor because sensor is limited only to 7 days. But, we came up with a solution because sensors costs too much for our country and we had to find a way to use sensors more than 1 week. And i did. I asked a user on this webite and he did told me what to do. Now i am more than satisfied. The only complain about the device is, when i press middle button to turn the screen on, it delays about 2 seconds, but that's normal. Hope everyone is doing great and wish all of you the best.

Last edited by a moderator:

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The G5 would address your complaint. Were you aware that they've started shipping the G5 in some countries?

I'm here in the U.S and received my G5 last Thursday (9/24). So far, it's wonderful.

The main difference between the G4 and G5 is that the G5 can transmit directly to your phone (without needing the receiver/device).

Again, it may not be available in your country quite yet.

Qemajlosmani

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah i saw G5, but i think in US, Insurance will take care of you. In our country, we have to pay for that. Sadly.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah i saw G5, but i think in US, Insurance will take care of you. In our country, we have to pay for that. Sadly.
Ouch, your wallet has my condolences. Yes, I was very lucky that my insurance covered all but $280usd for the full G5 kit, 8 sensors, and 2 transmitters.

Lozj82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
$285 is that for the G5 as i am waiting to see how much they cost in the UK, saw your post and thought it might give me some idea, but i am surprised about this, is yours an update? if so, do you know how much is it to buy from new? thanks :)

Lozj82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @tim2000s, however that post doesnt mention the G5 which doesnt need a receiver so i was wondering if it was going to be any cheaper than the G4 (hence the reason i asked)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
We have no visibility of UK costs for G5 yet (as there is no official date released) and the Dexcom site suggests that you will still need to buy it as a pack with the receiver. Our best guess at the moment is that it will be no cheaper. Sorry about that @Lozj82 !

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
$285 is that for the G5 as i am waiting to see how much they cost in the UK, saw your post and thought it might give me some idea, but i am surprised about this, is yours an update? if so, do you know how much is it to buy from new? thanks :)
I just checked the exact numbers through my insurance.

A couple notes:
I live in the U.S. (Texas)
No that wasn't an update. I was diagnosed with type 1 four weeks ago and this is my first CGM.
It was billed to my insurance(AETNA) at $3291
My out of pocket was $287 (I was $2 off)
What they shipped: G5 transmitters(x2), G5 receiver(1), G4 sensors (x8)

It may not be what you want to hear but it looks like the sensors (G4) are unchanged which may be a small positive. Apparently U.S. laws require the receiver to be shipped. I'd imagine it would cut costs significantly if you only needed the sensors and transmitters.

Lozj82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We have no visibility of UK costs for G5 yet (as there is no official date released) and the Dexcom site suggests that you will still need to buy it as a pack with the receiver. Our best guess at the moment is that it will be no cheaper. Sorry about that @Lozj82 !
I knew there was none for the UK yet but i was hoping to find out the price from the US to give me some idea. Oh dear, that's no good, when will they give us a break and come up with something affordable (and available - meaning the problems with the libre), thanks for the info!

Lozj82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just checked the exact numbers through my insurance.

A couple notes:
I live in the U.S. (Texas)
No that wasn't an update. I was diagnosed with type 1 four weeks ago and this is my first CGM.
It was billed to my insurance(AETNA) at $3291
My out of pocket was $287 (I was $2 off)
What they shipped: G5 transmitters(x2), G5 receiver(1), G4 sensors (x8)

It may not be what you want to hear but it looks like the sensors (G4) are unchanged which may be a small positive. Apparently U.S. laws require the receiver to be shipped. I'd imagine it would cut costs significantly if you only needed the sensors and transmitters.
Thanks for the info (knew you were in the US somewhere). Ahh good old insurance (although im sure i wouldnt be saying that if i had to pay it every month). I was hoping you wouldnt need the receiver, looks like its going to be too expensive for me then :-( (sob)

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the info (knew you were in the US somewhere). Ahh good old insurance (although im sure i wouldnt be saying that if i had to pay it every month). I was hoping you wouldnt need the receiver, looks like its going to be too expensive for me then :-( (sob)
Well, you may not need the receiver.

The Dexcom rep told me that US laws require the receiver to be shipped in order for it to be considered a medical device. That mat or may not be true in other parts of the world.

Reactions: 2 people

Qemajlosmani

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, i know you guys in US are lucky, cause insurances pay for medical equipments. We have to pay for these things. By the way, i live in Kosovo and my daughter is 9 months.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I was told 5,000 for first year for everything I'd need the 2,500 each year after that