My family - people you should not trust with my diabetes (A light hearted look at my family's ideas)

sheepareevil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who are not polite/ have no manners
Recently my family had a conversation over what would happen if I was in an accident and had my arm chopped off - I pointed out that If my arm was chopped off that would need dealing with first. Which led on to the conversation about chopping my arm off to see if I would need less insulin. As mostly scientists they concluded that the only way to see was to test their theory!:nailbiting:

My partner, after watching an episode of Hannibal (TV series) turns to me and goes "if you ever go into a comma due to DKA, can I grow mushrooms out of you - like the killer did in that episode?"

Finally my 4 year old nephew has taken to "testing and injecting" his friends at school after seeing me test and inject. If that's not bad enough if I am out for a meal with him he will announce very loudly that it's "time for me to stab myself" or simply shout "stabby, stabby time".:facepalm:

Anybody else got stories about their family like mine?

Reactions: 16 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Gosh they sound quite a bunch don't they lol, You can choose your friends, but you can't choose your family :)
My ex partner apparently told one of his daughters that if anything happened to us ( we weren't together then) she would have our daughter!!:-o I only knew this when the other sister rang me and my also ex's sister asking why ********* was having my daughter and not them, I told them I was going no where,and no one was having her, they seemed to be crawling out of the woodwork. .

Reactions: 4 people

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
God I remember that episode of Hannibal - it gave me nightmares. I bet these conversations are all carried out with big smiles on their faces !
At least they are thinking about it?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not really diabetes related.. Well I suppose it is if you count the feet side of stuff..

When I was about 12 I bugged my mum for some Doctor Marten boots..

It was time for the new term to start in September 1980? So the weekend before my mum & I went into town to get the boots.
Looking at this footwear on the shop racks, she was assured that this was sensible, practical & hard wearing foot attire that would look smart with the uniform...
Unlike my picky fashion conscious sister, this purchase was just a question of finding the right size....!

So with my new DMs in the bag we set off for the bus stop to catch home.
Approaching the stop we bumped into one of my teachers.. "Hello Jamie are you all ready to get back to school..?"

Before I could answer my mum jumped in. "Oh yes, he's got his Dr Whites!" :banghead:

Reactions: 7 people
H

Hooked

Recently my family had a conversation over what would happen if I was in an accident and had my arm chopped off - I pointed out that If my arm was chopped off that would need dealing with first. Which led on to the conversation about chopping my arm off to see if I would need less insulin. As mostly scientists they concluded that the only way to see was to test their theory!:nailbiting:

My partner, after watching an episode of Hannibal (TV series) turns to me and goes "if you ever go into a comma due to DKA, can I grow mushrooms out of you - like the killer did in that episode?"

Finally my 4 year old nephew has taken to "testing and injecting" his friends at school after seeing me test and inject. If that's not bad enough if I am out for a meal with him he will announce very loudly that it's "time for me to stab myself" or simply shout "stabby, stabby time".:facepalm:

Anybody else got stories about their family like mine?
Lol, love it.
My mum once chucked a digestive biscuit at my when I was younger when I woke during the night with a hypo. Needless to say she wasn't very awake at the time either.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My ten year old daughter "why don't you just cut your finger with a knife?"

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I forget to add, that one of the sister's in my other post ( I call them sponge and spiker from James and the giant peach film);) told me of a female friend of hers ( husbands in the army) who was found dead in her home, and she was Type 1 ,cheers for that :eek:

Reactions: 2 people

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had a friend go into detail about their cousin who died from their type 1 diabetes 'like what you have' and describe nanna's amputations in great detail while I was eating.

Reactions: 4 people

maryamy1994

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arogance, Bullies, Rudeness, Discrimination towards diabetes
I'm lucky in the fact that i'm not the only diabetic in my family :)
Although my grand parents seem to think i will be cured from type 1 diabetes if i lose weight!

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My dad was pretty clueless, bless him. I remember having a hypo one evening when I was about 15. I came to the kitchen and asked him to do me some milk and glucose. Unfortunately what I ended up with was milk and self raising flour. Needless to say it didn't help or taste very good!!! It had actually started to solidify by the time my mum came out to see what all the laughing was about ( that would be after the stroppy hypo induced comments of how useless men were, I'll just do it myself then shall I?)

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm lucky in the fact that i'm not the only diabetic in my family :)
Although my grand parents seem to think i will be cured from type 1 diabetes if i lose weight!
That one makes me laugh. My mother in law is a very overweight T2 diabetic, of Asian origin who keeps telling to eat turmeric, bitter gourds and other Indian home remedies which will all control my sugar.

I don't think she quite gets the difference between the types, especially when 2 hours post meal I tell her I'm at 7.0 and she tuts and shakes her head.

maryamy1994

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arogance, Bullies, Rudeness, Discrimination towards diabetes
That one makes me laugh. My mother in law is a very overweight T2 diabetic, of Asian origin who keeps telling to eat turmeric, bitter gourds and other Indian home remedies which will all control my sugar.

I don't think she quite gets the difference between the types, especially when 2 hours post meal I tell her I'm at 7.0 and she tuts and shakes her head.
I wish i had controlled sugars to help me lose weight o.0 I just don't feel i'm on the right fast acting insulin and i've been saying it for years, GP agrees but diabetic nurse doesn't..