My first blood reading.Please help.

Rosemaryx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To much to say.
My reading 3 weeks ago from blood test was HbA1c level 10.3 (4.2-6.2 ) And I just done my first test and it read 8.2 Is this good...I don't understand reading as yet,so I would appreciate any help,thank you...xox

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When did you do your reading Rosemary? Was it a fasting reading (first thing in the morning), before a meal or after a meal?

Currently I am testing myself every morning when I get up. Before a meal and 1 hour, 2 hours and 2.5 hours after the meal (after starting the meal, that is.) One single reading on its own means nothing at all I'm afraid. I don't test every meal though.

Rosemaryx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To much to say.
Well I had 2 slices of Burgen bread with corned beef and a touch of mustard,then two hours later I tested...Had my sandwich at one clock...I am only going to test three times a day,Morning,noon and night...

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My reading 3 weeks ago from blood test was HbA1c level 10.3 (4.2-6.2 ) And I just done my first test and it read 8.2 Is this good...I don't understand reading as yet,so I would appreciate any help,thank you...xox

Your surgery has not converted to the new measurement method then and an Hba1c of 10.3 means 89 in new money.

If you have just done your first test is this a test at home or what? None of it sounds too good so far but don't panic since I am not sure what you are reading.

Reactions: 2 people

Rosemaryx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To much to say.
I done test at home...Just got new meter,so if the meter is saying 8.2,then what is a good reading...Ty...xox

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A blood sugar rating of 4.8 is "normal" for a non diabetic. Anything below 4 is too low, and needs to be treated immediately with glucose. I use dextrose tablets, but anything sugary will raise them. After a meal, the maximum to aim for as noted above is 7.8. In general I try to aim for between 5 and 6.

Reactions: 4 people

Rosemaryx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To much to say.
Thank you Charles...So I have a bit to go before they lower...I have been on lower carb for 3 weeks,do exercise,and on Metformin 500 x 2...

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Your 8.2 isn't bad just a little lower and it will be good. Your HbA1c result meant you had an equivalent reading from a meter of about 14mmol/L so you can see one of your worst points (after you ate) is showing a much better result already.

Keep up the good work

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A blood sugar rating of 4.8 is "normal" for a non diabetic. Anything below 4 is too low, and needs to be treated immediately with glucose. I use dextrose tablets, but anything sugary will raise them. After a meal, the maximum to aim for as noted above is 7.8. In general I try to aim for between 5 and 6.

Charles, I don't agree with your statement, " Anything below 4 is too low, and needs to be treated immediately with glucose. ". For T2s things are not so hard and fast. Non-diabetic normal ranges go much lower than 4, without need for intervention. Many of us T2s go below 4, without incident, on a regular basis. Our livers usually take care of any deeper dips.

Rosemaryx, you need to bring that number down a bit, but it's early days. It takes a little while to achieve.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Rosemaryx

I'm on Metformin and have been low carbing for 5 weeks, and despite being really disciplined, and increasing my daily exercise, I am still waiting for my fasting readings to fall to a more acceptable level and some after meals readings. It can take a while and I receive a lot of encouragement from the members on this site. Hang in there, and perhaps while you are waiting for the readings to lower, look for other signs - i.e. do you feel better in yourself? More energy? Sleeping better? Mental clarity etc?

Don't panic and don't give up! Stick with what you are doing and closely monitor all your meals and your reactions ot them. Some of us take longer to respond than others, but I'm sure good things are happening which we can't always see from a meter :)

Diana

Reactions: 9 people

Rosemaryx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To much to say.
Oh thank you Diane,That's what I needed to hear...Yes I feel so much better,I can do more,loving my life more,sleep is great,had a few wobbles in the second week,crying,panic,but due to this site and info,I have picked my self up...I don't have weight to loose,but the low carb means am eating healthy...xox...And Ty for your comments to you all,am glad my readings rant to bad,like you said,it's early days...xox

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Charles, I don't agree with your statement, " Anything below 4 is too low, and needs to be treated immediately with glucose. ". For T2s things are not so hard and fast. Non-diabetic normal ranges go much lower than 4, without need for intervention. Many of us T2s go below 4, without incident, on a regular basis. Our livers usually take care of any deeper dips.

Rosemaryx, you need to bring that number down a bit, but it's early days. It takes a little while to achieve.
Anything below 4 is classes as hypoglycemia. It's true, you are unlikely to lose consciousness at something like 3.5. However, frequently being at this level will cause a loss of hypo awareness, and it is beneficial to avoid it.

Reactions: 3 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
The time to test is before a meal and 2 hours after, not sure if you are aware of that.

Reactions: 3 people

Rosemaryx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To much to say.
NO did not know that,so before I eat my meal I test,then 2hours later I test again.,I have so much to learn,thank you for any info...For dinner I am having snap green peas,a large leaf of savoy cabbage,3 small new potatoes,and a pork belly with red chilli,onion,garlic...

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Before a meal and 2 hours after is the general rule of thumb as dawnmc mentioned. An important exception to this is if you feel hypo. Then you should test regardless of when your last meal was. Probably obvious, but I thought I should mention it just in case!

I never assume any knowledge with someone newly diagnosed, so I apologise in advance if this is a patronising question, but have you been told what a hypo feels like? Just in case, common symptoms include headaches, sweating, feeling tired, becoming confused and becoming angry. They can also cause mood swings. I have felt both elated and depressed during a hypo. The confusion is the really prickly one, because it stops you realising you are hypo! For this reason it is an excellent idea to carry something identifying you as a diabetic. There have been cases where hypos have been mistaken for being drunk. Joining medic alert is a good idea, because you get a diabetic ID card and your details are stored on their database, which an emergency health team will have access to.

Sorry if I went off topic, just thought it was a good idea to give you a heads up regarding hypos.

Reactions: 5 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anything below 4 is classes as hypoglycemia. It's true, you are unlikely to lose consciousness at something like 3.5. However, frequently being at this level will cause a loss of hypo awareness, and it is beneficial to avoid it.

I still disagree, and we will probably have to agree to disagree.

For the avoidance of doubt, I have no issue with what you are saying about hypos for T1s, Charles, but T2 differs. I accept that not all T2s are comfortable under 4, but that doesn't mean it is a dangerous place to be.

What about all those non-diabetic people who also routinely, and understandably unknowingly run in the 3s? I would agree anything under 3 is getting low, and I have read that is the point where non-diabetics are considered hypoglycaemic.

If I should be taking corrective action with every reading under 4, I would be eating glucose tablets pretty much every day, which just isn't going to be happening.

Sorry about the distraction Rosemaryx.

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I only found out today that I should be testing more than pre meal and 2 hours after, ie 1 hour, 2 1/2 hours to see when the level peaks and when it goes down

K

Kat100

I support what Charles says on this, it's important not to have a hypo .....

I am talking about myself ....type 2

For me going low Under 4 is dangerous
And a 3 is a crisis .....