My first cold since RH

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys, hope you're all having a fantastic Christmas break! I have caught my first cold since my RH diagnosis and wondering if what I'm experiencing is normal for diabetics or RHers?

My fasting bg was a normal 5.2 this morning. Had my normal breakfast and after 2 hours I was 6.8 which is higher than I would usually be. Over the next hour it barely moved (6.3ish) and I wasn't hungry, so I just ate a couple of Brazil nuts. By 12 noon I was feeling very shaky and anxious but my bg was still 6.5. Taking @Linagirl's advice I had a teaspoon of coconut oil which seemed to help. Before lunch I was 6.7 and I've just eaten homemade cream of mushroom soup, with crispy bacon and one slice of low gi bread and butter.

Is it normal to have a higher bg while under the weather? Is it "normal" for RHer's to feel hypo type symptoms at higher levels when unwell? I've got a family party to go tonight, so I'm wondering if I'm a little anxious about what to eat, which may be contributing to the shakes! I guess it'll be a salad with cold meat again for me!

By contrast, yesterday I had a fasting level of 4.7 and didn't record a reading over 6.5 all day. This RH is so random and frustrating! Grrrrr

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi guys, hope you're all having a fantastic Christmas break! I have caught my first cold since my RH diagnosis and wondering if what I'm experiencing is normal for diabetics or RHers?

My fasting bg was a normal 5.2 this morning. Had my normal breakfast and after 2 hours I was 6.8 which is higher than I would usually be. Over the next hour it barely moved (6.3ish) and I wasn't hungry, so I just ate a couple of Brazil nuts. By 12 noon I was feeling very shaky and anxious but my bg was still 6.5. Taking @Linagirl's advice I had a teaspoon of coconut oil which seemed to help. Before lunch I was 6.7 and I've just eaten homemade cream of mushroom soup, with crispy bacon and one slice of low gi bread and butter.

Is it normal to have a higher bg while under the weather? Is it "normal" for RHer's to feel hypo type symptoms at higher levels when unwell? I've got a family party to go tonight, so I'm wondering if I'm a little anxious about what to eat, which may be contributing to the shakes! I guess it'll be a salad with cold meat again for me!

By contrast, yesterday I had a fasting level of 4.7 and didn't record a reading over 6.5 all day. This RH is so random and frustrating! Grrrrr

Frustrating, yes!
Blood levels, all over the place, yes!
Hypo symptoms when hyper! Maybe, we are all different! Just symptoms!

Don't forget to only take paracetamol, do not take cold remedies or other meds because they do contain lots of sugar. And the meds will take your bloods up worse!

Grin and bear it, it will be only a few days. Hope you feel better soon!

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks guys. Still so much to learn. Off to bed now, hoping tomorrow will be a better day!