My first stay away from home since diagnosis.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I had reason to have a stay at a hotel for the first time for a long time over the weekend and I actually found it a pleasing experience and better than I could ever have dreamt of.

I have had real anxious fears, not symptoms, to see how I would cope with the hotels evening meal and breakfast. Of course because of traffic, bloody roadworks! We were just a little late booking in. It was good that I had my little tidbits to keep me going, before I got there.

So as I entered the restaurant, there was a notice, saying, if I had an allergy, then the chef would speak to me, and see what could be done.
So of course I asked. Within five minutes, he arrived at my table and we talked for ten minutes and he said that he would cook me something, and he suggested gammon and egg cooked in virgin olive oil, pan fried.
Unfortunately the salad had been prepared with dressing on, and he actually apologised for that.
I thanked him, and he did say that of all the allergies he has been asked to cook for, mine was the weirdest and unusual. No change there then!

He came back with two pieces of gorgeous meat and eggs. Absolutely wonderful!

Afterwards, I went to thank him and he asked if I was having breakfast, of course!
Well, specially cooked, bacon, eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes and a big slice of black pudding cooked in a big frying pan. What can I say? Wonderful. Felt honoured to be treated so well. I thanked him, shook his hand, and got a big smile, because the praise I gave him.
Still can't believe how much the chef looked after me. I am so deeply grateful and a letter to the management has been left at reception for the owners to look at.

I was of course very wary of asking and anxious to be ashamed and frightened by the experience of having to ask help, but now I know, that not to ask would have been worse.
So if you are in the same position as me, ask!
Ask away, apparently the service industry tries its best to help weirdos like me!

Exceptional service, at a hotel which wasn't the best, in standards. But no complaints from me.

Alright,
No WiFi!
Television was no bigger than a small computer screen, circa 1980s and only five channels.
Noisy!
Shower head broke.
Definitely not enough tea!
View of the back end of the hotel.
Bed springs twanged constantly.
One pillow.

But other than that fine!

Reactions: 13 people

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for sharing your experience Nosher. I have terrible anxiety over eating out and having to stay away from home, but it's good to hear of your positive experience. Glad it worked out well for you mate

Reactions: 4 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
well done for stepping outside your normal comfort zone-- an immense ask that it sounds as though you got through with flying colours !!:)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I LOVE going away and staying in hotels and stuff.
But since going VLC I must admit it has been a bit more challenging.

We usually go to self catering cottages now, when staying in the UK, and have Tescos deliver exactly what we want to the holiday address. That way we don't even waste precious holiday hours in supermarkets.

But when staying abroad those All You Can Eat places usually have a vast range, so you can pick and choose to suit.

3 years ago we had a week's cruise. I wasn't quite so VERY LC back then, but I could have done it if I had wanted. The buffets were fantastic.

But having such a wide range of choices makes the temptations worse... worth having a Freestyle Libre just for the hol, to stuff yourself once, watch the scary graph, and then stick to the straight and narrow after that! :D

lindisfel

Expert
  1. I had a bad experience at home last week. Lidl have produced a loaf they claim is low GI! I tried just 50 grams and it spiked me to 10.5 after an hour and I was 5.2 after two hours so I had some berries and walnuts to stop going low. I got an headache and felt rotten. Never trust labels. D.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
  1. I had a bad experience at home last week. Lidl have produced a loaf they claim is low GI! I tried just 50 grams and it spiked me to 10.5 after an hour and I was 5.2 after two hours so I had some berries and walnuts to stop going low. I got an headache and felt rotten. Never trust labels. D.

Low GI is still too many carbs mate!

Just because it's suppose to be low, complex or wholemeal, whole wheat and suppose to be good for your health.
It's not!
They are still baddies for us RH ers!
Stick to what you know works for you!

lindisfel

Expert
Low GI is still too many carbs mate!

Just because it's suppose to be low, complex or wholemeal, whole wheat and suppose to be good for your health.
It's not!
They are still baddies for us RH ers!
Stick to what you know works for you!
i

Your absolutely correct. I do not think we stand a chance of being cured of R.H. We may get control but it is in no way a cure.
regards
Derek

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been thinking about this, and I am now of the opinion that being very low carb has actually made things much easier than I implied in my last post.

It kind of works like this:

I know that I can have beautifully steady blood glucose, no hypos, stead energy and no ravening hunger, if I eat sensibly VLC.

For a day or so, I can comfortably subsist on a few of these
- coffeencream
- a bag of pork scratchings, salted nuts or jerky
- cold meat or cheese
- a fried english breakfast
- water
- steak and salad

Now, those are hardly a balanced diet, and I wouldn't want to live on just them for long, but it is easy to get hold of most of those anywhere. And if needs must, I can carry enough nuts, jerky and water in a bag that will last 24 hours.

Makes it very easy.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm the same on my trips to footie, little things, that just keeps you steady.
I do eat an apple in between little snacks, , I carry nuts always, stop at a services and have some meat or something which is available. If you are lucky they do eggs and bacon. We stopped on the M25 and I had a salad from one of the shops freshly made before your eyes. I carry water and meat which has been cooked before, like a leg of chicken or some roasted ham.
There is ways around it to keep you steady without resorting to rubbish fast food.
At another, I had some lovely chicken and a couple of boiled eggs.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
While I'm not RH, I take the view you can exist for a few days on whatever you can manage. OK, it's not balanced, but packets of pork scratchings, tins of corned beef, or ham, glass jars of pate, bottles of water. I've had all in the truck at some stage. (In my case they get a bit runny when opened, and I may have a dry cracker of two under them), but they last for ages without any care, and I can be sure of food when I want it. They're normally my final fallback, but one less thing to worry about.

Reactions: 2 people