my first week lower carbs

lister

Dislikes
people with no sense of humor rude people (being 50 lol)
Hi everybody been trying to lower my carbs i was a big eater but have been low carbing about a week now got my bg's down to average 6.6 :D
my bg's have not spiked yet and keeping a level line (ish) :D
ive cut out pasta rice no sweets cakes or biscuits etc.
had small slice wholemeal toast with one egg one slice bacon for breakfast had some prawns a little salad and little black pepper for lunch home made chicken curry with grated colli as rice substitute it really worked well my total carbs for all that in one day was 51 have lost 7lbs of weight thank you all for your kind help guidance and support i can not believe i took to this so well. :D :D
Rob................

louiseb

well done thats great bg numbers and well done on the weight loss :D
did you loose the 7 pounds in the one week since you started to low carb?

lister

Dislikes
Hi louise thank you
yes i lost first 5 pounds in three days but i really went too low and my wife got very upset with me so put my carbs up from 40 a day to between 50 to 60 she said i looked really ill :?:
she said i would probably gain weight after a while if i starved myself but must admit i went straight down from dinner plate to sandwich plate for dinner.
feeling good though but really wish i could get down to 11.5 stone before april but realise that would be stupid so slow slow catchy monkey as they say...
Rob

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi Lister :)

You seem to be doing really well and have found the right path to tread. All the best with the weight loss plan but as they say - slowly does it :!:

lister

Dislikes
Hi Synonym thanks i hope it continues as i am using the same willpower as i did 10 years ago when i gave up smoking and still havent touched one yet even though my wife smokes around me i still dont miss them but am missing some of the foods i loved but hey in the end the cravings get weaker and weaker. :D
how about you have you mannaged to get good control..
best wishes
Rob

Synonym

Dislikes
Hello again Lister :)

I was totally lost until I found this forum and it really saved my sanity and got me on the right track.
My last Hba1c in Feb '10 was 5.5 but although I haven't had another done since :shock: I keep an eye on what I am eating and hopefully it will be about the same when I get my next one done for my annual check up next month.

Do you have much weight to lose?

Synonym

Dislikes
PS Suddenly realised I hadn't really answered your question! I have cut my carb intake down and done all the testing before and after eating so that I know how my body is coping with my food. It works!! :D

Tried Burgen bread for the first time this week and was delighted that 1 slice is manageable but a bit peeved to discover that 2 slices are not. Still half a sandwich is better than none! 8)

lister

Dislikes
hiya Synonym.
yes i have a load to drop i was 20.5 (stone :shock: ) and at last weigh was 19.8 that was saturday i was told 120 carbs but i only eat between 50 to 70 max and have roughly halved the amount of food on my plate and don't do snacking :)
how many carbs do you manage on and did you lose a lot of weight or was you ok for that my last hba1c was 7.1 hoping to get that down as well you seem to have done really good you must be pleased i hope i can do the same and keep it that way.
regards Rob

Cowboyjim

IMHO I wonder about whether your spartan diet is giving you enough nutrition....? Where's the fruit n veg? Might you not get ill if you deprive yourself of vital minerals and vitamins etc let alone roughage for the inner workings? 8)

lister

Dislikes
Hi Cowboyjim thanks for the reply.
i do try to have veg with my meals but count the carbs in them like for example sunday had a little roast lamb 1 small roast potato and a few green veg but only 4 sprouts as they are a starchy carb i believe.
some days i will have a small lunch bag of fruit that contains about 6 slices of apple they are about 10 carbs or a few strawberries.
i have always had a on and off bowel muscle ever since i was 5 years old i used to eat things like liquirice or strangely enough tiramisu but they are off limits now will be seeing my d/n on wednesday asking her to send me to diabetic dietary team at my local hospital as i am new to all this hopefully they can help me with that problem a little ( i am on the usual (apparently) 3 month lifestyle change) before i get re assessed.
regards rob :D