My first year(and a bit) as type 2

Gary1205

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had my fourth HbA1c test since diagnosis and I will reveal the result near the end of this post.
My story probably starts around October 2014. I fell asleep at the drop of a hat during the day, began drinking a lot more and paying regular visits to the bathroom, almost hourly some nights. I had my suspicions, but typical bloke put off the inevitable until February,when I now had what transpired to be a sugar based infection, I am sure you can guess where. So went to the doctor and he confirmed my suspicions were likely to be realised. Blood was tested and HbA1c came back at 98 and cholesterol 5.7. I weighed 16 stone 3 and was put on statins and two 500mg Metformin daily.
Probably like everyone, spent a couple of days licking my wounds. My late father was T1 and died too young having spent the last two years on dialysis after kidney failure, had a leg amputated and other complications as well. He was great man whom I aspired to be like in so many ways, but diabetes was not one of them. Around the same time my daughter told me my first grandchild was on the way. So I resolved to be around for my grandchild a lot longer than my dad was for his and he has inspired me to get control having seen first hand what could go wrong if I don't.
I will be the first to admit I led a somewhat sedentary lifestyle before and have a desk job so made some changes to my lifestyle. I drive 30 miles to work each day, so instead of parking close to the office parked half a mile away. Instead of staying in and reading my paper, come rain or shine went out for a long walk at lunchtime everyday. My building covers four floors, so instead of phoning or emailing colleagues walked to wherever they are in the building to discuss matters. Also went for a long walk each weekend having invested in a pedometer. I am the sort of person who benefits from a focus and this helped me in that regard. I also began and have carried on doing, an hour on an exercise bike 3-4 nights a week whilst watching TV at a gentle pace, not tour de France speed. These were comparitively small changes but seemed to make an immediate difference to my weight.
I was put on an Xpert course very early on after diagnosis and I found it very useful. Diet wise I gave up biscuits, cakes, crisps and chocolate bars, meal wise invested in the carbs and cals book and adjusted my portions and by June had lost virtually 2 stone. Another way for me to focus was as an accountant I set up a speradsheet and recorded my cals intake. Averaged 1500 cals a day and 150g of carbs. About the end of May I discovered this forum and got another string to my bow in my control when advised to test. How right were those who said we are all different in our reactions to foods. I learnt that white bread was a no no for me but two slices of granary was fine. Small quantities of rice and pasta, three to four small potatoes or and ice cream scoop portion of mash were also fine for me, and Weetabix for breakfast was also okay, often getting a lower reading after eating it, and only seeming to go up by a point when a stressful car journey to work. Would adjust my portion sizes according to my pre meal read the closer to seven the more I would reduce the carb content and nearly always managed to stay below 8.5 post. Added the BG reads to my spreadsheet so could establish patterns.
Weight wise was losing a steady two pounds a week apart from a week on holiday, despite doing double the amount of walking and carb intake remaining unchanged at approx. 150g a day calorie intake averaged nearer 2000 a day that week and I put on 3 pounds.
By June had lost two stone and my HbA1c was down from 98 at diagnosis to 47. Cholesterol down to 2.6. Metformin dose was halved but stayed on Statins. By September weight now down 4 stone to 12 stone 3, HbA1c down to 42 Cholesterol still 2.6 and came off all meds for a trial period.
Three weeks after coming off the meds BGs seemed to drop a bit further, have consistently been in the 5s fasting with the occasional low 6 and mostly 4s and generally low 4s at that before evening meal since. Diet remained unchanged weight now plateaued at 12 stone 3 even over Christmas. My December HbA1c, three months after coming off meds remained unchanged at 42 cholesterol went back up to 3.9 so could stay off meds. At my December appointment with my DN the GP with Diabetes responsibility at the practice made a point of coming in to my visit. He said he had never seen such a turnaround and told me to keep doing what I was doing. They called me the Practice's star patient. He did ask how I had done it and when I mentioned regular testing he initially said to stop but when I demonstrated how I use this information in my control and was not going to stop, he agreed that I was right to carry on and has given me a prescription every two months since.
So now for today's news, my weight is still 4 stone down for the last six months now, Cholesterol still fine and HbA1c is now in the normal range at 40.
Weight loss has clearly been a help but a balanced diet based on portion control and lower calorie intake, coupled with using the information from my meter, and upping my activity levels is working for me. I think changes I have made to my diet and lifestyle have been a lot of small ones but overall have made a huge difference. I am enjoying being a granddad so life is good for me at the moment.
Sorry for the long post but I thought I should detail how I have got to a normal level and would be happy to answer any query if any further clarification is needed.
May I finish by thanking those who have supported me on my journey so far, in particular those that advised testing to see what affect we have as we are all different which I feel has been a most important addition to my armoury, and may I wish you all success in your control whatever method you find works for you.
Best wishes
Gary

Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Congratulations Gazzer, well done mate!

GPM44

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Great work Gary, well done similar story to mine, diagnosed October 15 through routine check (no symptoms whatsoever) hba1c of 103, December 15 down to 57, last week 39. Lost 4 1/2 stone, walk/run up to 10 miles a day, feels good (not smug) low carb, good food, sensible portions, no beer, oh and stopped smoking the day of diagnosis. Keep up the great work

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Great work, Gary. You are an inspiration.

Best wishes

Doug

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi @Gary1205

Sorry I'm a bit slow but just came across this and its a fantastic result and as a result of you taking control and taking massive action. You should be very proud of what you have achieved.

Congratulations