1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

My grandfather has Type 2, and I am concerned about symptoms for myself.

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by OmegaPrize, Jul 16, 2021.

1. OmegaPrize

OmegaPrize · Member

For people that were recently diagnosed. What were your initial symptoms?

2. Andydragon

Andydragon Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I wasn’t recently diagnosed but symptoms haven’t changed in general

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/type-2-diabetes/symptoms/#symptoms

for me:
    excessive thirst
    Excessive urination
    Extreme bad mood
    Rapid and unexpected weight loss
    Blurred eye sight

but all that said, if you have any concerns then speak to your doctor or I think sone pharmacies can do tests too now?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dr Snoddy

Dr Snoddy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had the same symptoms as Andydragon along with extreme tiredness. I think I was too tired to be in a bad mood most of the time though! I also had a very high HbA1c, 108.

• Like Like x 1
  4. coby

coby Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My eyesight suddenly became PERFECT! It lasted for five days. My Optician decided to send me for a blood test, where it was picked up. I had very slight (hardly noticable) tingling in my finger tips just every once in a while. Nothing else at all though

• Like Like x 1
  5. garyclark82

garyclark82 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I didn't have any symptoms - got diagnosed when having a urine infection. The subsequent dip test showed, in the words of the nurse," a little bit of everything"

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bittern

Bittern Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had no symptoms. It was picked up as part of a routine company medical.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ianf0ster

ianf0ster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I too had no symptoms, had always been slim but had sneaked into overweight during the prior 2 yrs. In my case I wasn't far into the diabetic range on my HbA1C tests - only 53

• Like Like x 1
  8. searley

searley Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

If there is any concern ask you gp for a blood test.. if you are lucky it will put your mind at ease

On the other hand if you do have it then the sooner you know the sooner you can try and get it under control

I myself had no real symptoms

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. muzza3

muzza3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

For me it was tiredness and depression that led to blood tests and diagnosis. If in doubt get a blood test

• Like Like x 1
  10. Geordie_P

Geordie_P Type 2 · Well-Known Member

excessive thirst
    Blurred eye sight
    extreme numbness in toes
    constant pain in soles of feet
    permanent pins and needles in right thumb
    extreme pain to any form of touch in left ring finger and right elbow
    tongue would split down the central line and bleed, especially in the morning
    glans would erupt into painful blood bubbles
    inexplicably rapid weight gain (I was trying to fix my weight by eating a 'healthy plant based diet', and nearly killed myself in the process)

• Like Like x 1
  11. KennyA

KennyA Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

In order of onset from 2010 until 2019 - foot oedema, kidney problems, producing next to no urine, heavy sweating at night, water retention, sleep problems, weight gain+++, tiredness/low energy, bruising, frequent cuts, frequent infections, gum problems, tooth infections, cuts not healing, repeated soft tissue injury, burning and tingling feet, oedema in lower legs, redness, blistering, fluid leaking through skin. This all was pre-diagnosis. I was eating the "healthy" high carb diet recommended by the NHS and exercising regularly (apart from injuries). I went to the GP with almost all of these symptoms (with T2 in mind) and was firmly told I didn't have diabetes, because my BG wasn't at a high enough level.

Since diagnosis, and since going low-carb, most of these symptoms have gone completely but I still have a touch of the tingly neuropathy in my feet, probably always will have. A couple of new symptoms appeared - after my BG had returned to normal levels - and left just as quickly - sticky mouth and itchiness. I guess that it's changes to the body system that result in the symptoms in some cases, even if the changes are in the right direction.

• Like Like x 1
  12. coby

coby Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Wow Geordie! That was really severe! Have your symptoms improved at all?

13. Yellredder

Yellredder Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

No symptoms here. I have an annual test as I had Gestational Diabetes.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Geordie_P

Geordie_P Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes, they improved massively once I got my bloods under control- the things related to dry mouth, bleeding etc cleared up in a matter of weeks, and the nerve issues cleared up over the course of about a year. That said, I probably had diabetes for years before these symptoms appeared. If you have concerns, and testing is available to you, I think getting tested would be the smart move. If it turns out you are at risk of diabetes, you can stave off the problem before it really starts. Good luck!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. OmegaPrize

OmegaPrize · Member

Thanks Kenny, I am already on a low carb diet and even fast a day or two each week. Good to know that is the right thing to be doing regardless.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook