My HbA1c and the power of exercise

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
Two years ago my HbA1c was 78. I was supposed to have an operation at that stage but it was considered unsafe and so I went on a strict LCHF diet and my next reading was 57...yay!

My weight dropped from 15' 9 to 13 post operation and I was quite ill. My diet went to pot and every carb or sweet thing you could imagine, I ate.
Balanced against that was exercise- long walks (I have fibromyalgia so pushed myself), occasional short runs, going up and down stairs, some light weight training - but even so I anticipated a poor HbA1c at my next test.

It was 41.
Then I did another 41. My diet was okay but my weight was climbing again so I strived to exercise.

Fast forward to today. Weight is a stable 14' 2.

Lockdown gave me a mental breakdown and my diet went out of the window. Carbs, more carbs, basically what I could get to eat interspersed with days where I did my very best to go LCHF.

Had my HbA1c last week. In my minds I could see nothing other than a mid 70s at best because of everything that's hit me these last few months. In fact I warned my doctor to expect a very high score and the self-condemnation that followed.

Its 44!. 44!

I know my diets been bad (its improving again slowly) but I have exercised religiously as much as my body and mind allow me to and I am 100% convinced that keeping myself moving has had a fantastic effect on my sugars. I'm not proud of my diet but the fact that I am a 44 can only be proof that, in my case, exercise is totally beneficial.

Not for everyone I know but hey, some days the picture is a little brighter.

Reactions: MAGGYNHERKY

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That’s brilliant news @Patrick66 , what ever works for you, such a great achievement in spite of all the challenges that you face x

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Patrick66 - Annoyingly, I can't find the paper I wanted to reference right now, but a guy (PhD researcher) at Leicester did a study a couple of years ago, looking at sedentary behaviour, then adding in exercise, then referencing that against blood sugars.

They ran various experiments with volunteers, including having the volunteers into the research centre - arriving fasted, then feeding them breakfast, then they would remain sedentary, followed by munch and repeat for dinner. Blood glucose and other readings were taken through the course of the day, and saved.

Another day, the same group did exactly the same, except they were asked to stand up for a few minutes every hour. Just stand up, not walk about, carry and weights or anything else. Just stand up and stay standing for 10 (I think) minutes.

Again, same tests done over the course of the say and saved.

The comparative data showed a material improvement in the days involving standing.

The conclusion was exercise is great. In fact, any exercise is great - even just regular standing up for a while. It seems the key is the mobilisation of the major muscle groups involved in that rising from seating to standing.

I must admit, all I could think was "what a great excuse for more tea", but on a more serious note, I do try to ensure if I am scheduled a day at my desk that I get up regularly - whether to put the kettle on, go to the loo, or answer the door to the man from Amazon (Ahem).

So, the messaging is do what you can, but doing something can reap its own rewards.

Fantastic A1c. Celebrate it. Don't rail against it.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done @Patrick66, you should be VERY proud of yourself because you have struggled quite a bit we know, and yet you keep on trying even after set backs!!! I know you don't find it easy but by gosh, you are a trier! x

Reactions: oldgreymare

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two years ago my HbA1c was 78. I was supposed to have an operation at that stage but it was considered unsafe and so I went on a strict LCHF diet and my next reading was 57...yay!

My weight dropped from 15' 9 to 13 post operation and I was quite ill. My diet went to pot and every carb or sweet thing you could imagine, I ate.
Balanced against that was exercise- long walks (I have fibromyalgia so pushed myself), occasional short runs, going up and down stairs, some light weight training - but even so I anticipated a poor HbA1c at my next test.

It was 41.
Then I did another 41. My diet was okay but my weight was climbing again so I strived to exercise.

Lockdown gave me a mental breakdown and my diet went out of the window. Carbs, more carbs, basically what I could get to eat interspersed with days where I did my very best to go LCHF.

Had my HbA1c last week. In my minds I could see nothing other than a mid 70s at best because of everything that's hit me these last few months. In fact I warned my doctor to expect a very high score and the self-condemnation that followed.

Its 44!. 44!

I know my diets been bad (its improving again slowly) but I have exercised religiously as much as my body and mind allow me to and I am 100% convinced that keeping myself moving has had a fantastic effect on my sugars. I'm not proud of my diet but the fact that I am a 44 can only be proof that, in my case, exercise is totally beneficial.

I'm so happy for you. Well done!!! :) :) :)

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Patrick66 - Annoyingly, I can't find the paper I wanted to reference right now, but a guy (PhD researcher) at Leicester did a study a couple of years ago, looking at sedentary behaviour, then adding in exercise, then referencing that against blood sugars.

They ran various experiments with volunteers, including having the volunteers into the research centre - arriving fasted, then feeding them breakfast, then they would remain sedentary, followed by munch and repeat for dinner. Blood glucose and other readings were taken through the course of the day, and saved.

Another day, the same group did exactly the same, except they were asked to stand up for a few minutes every hour. Just stand up, not walk about, carry and weights or anything else. Just stand up and stay standing for 10 (I think) minutes.

Again, same tests done over the course of the say and saved.

The comparative data showed a material improvement in the days involving standing.

The conclusion was exercise is great. In fact, any exercise is great - even just regular standing up for a while. It seems the key is the mobilisation of the major muscle groups involved in that rising from seating to standing.

I must admit, all I could think was "what a great excuse for more tea", but on a more serious note, I do try to ensure if I am scheduled a day at my desk that I get up regularly - whether to put the kettle on, go to the loo, or answer the door to the man from Amazon (Ahem).

So, the messaging is do what you can, but doing something can reap its own rewards.

Fantastic A1c. Celebrate it. Don't rail against it.
Thank you for that. Part of my exercise is chasing the Yodel/Hermes/Amazon delivery driver who can't 'find' our house...despite standing ten feet in front of a door which clearly says '2' on it.
I am certainly happy but more than a little surprised that exercise (for me) gives a better reading than a 'proper diet' but more sedentary lifestyle, as I once had.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well done @Patrick66, you should be VERY proud of yourself because you have struggled quite a bit we know, and yet you keep on trying even after set backs!!! I know you don't find it easy but by gosh, you are a trier! x

My partner agrees, she says I'm very trying..lol.

I do try diet wise and some days are clearly better than others but I am definitely encouraged by the effect exercise has had on my levels.

Thank you.

Reactions: oldgreymare

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for that. Part of my exercise is chasing the Yodel/Hermes/Amazon delivery driver who can't 'find' our house...despite standing ten feet in front of a door which clearly says '2' on it.
I am certainly happy but more than a little surprised that exercise (for me) gives a better reading than a 'proper diet' but more sedentary lifestyle, as I once had.

All sorts of stuff like serotonin goes on when we exercise, so whilst it may not feel it at the time, it may be lowering your stress, blood pressure and cortisol levels; just to mention a few things.

For me, stress has a bigger impact on my blood glucose that variations in dietary approach.

I'm one of those people driven by data, so have all my A1cs in a spreadsheet row, and without referencing my medical record, I could tell you when I was having some particular investigations and surgery done. Weird, but true for several of us.

Like many, many people, I have hated lockdowns and all they bring. I detest having my wings clipped. Would I necessarily have been going anywhere? Not necessarily, but as a bit of a free spirit, I like to have the choice.

All of that said, I have, almost without exception been out every day; whether in the garden, walking, doing errands, or whatever. Being indoors for days oin end would be purgatory to me.

Reactions: KK123

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

It was 41.

Its 44!. 44!

I am running a type 2 walking group so this cheers me up no end!!
I do think there's a psychological effect too in that people tend to feel better for having a good long walk and it is the best antidote to a mince pie known to man as tends to drop sugar steadily and help insulin work quickly.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All sorts of stuff like serotonin goes on when we exercise, so whilst it may not feel it at the time, it may be lowering your stress, blood pressure and cortisol levels; just to mention a few things.

For me, stress has a bigger impact on my blood glucose that variations in dietary approach.

I'm one of those people driven by data, so have all my A1cs in a spreadsheet row, and without referencing my medical record, I could tell you when I was having some particular investigations and surgery done. Weird, but true for several of us.

Like many, many people, I have hated lockdowns and all they bring. I detest having my wings clipped. Would I necessarily have been going anywhere? Not necessarily, but as a bit of a free spirit, I like to have the choice.

All of that said, I have, almost without exception been out every day; whether in the garden, walking, doing errands, or whatever. Being indoors for days oin end would be purgatory to me.

Ive been stuck working from home. Its been more tempting to eat badly and Ive had a breakdown because everything got on top of me...and that led to even worse habits...but I'm doing my best, walking as much as I can, taking a break when my fibromylgia tells me enough is enough...and...yeah, I need a holiday..lol.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I am running a type 2 walking group so this cheers me up no end!!
I do think there's a psychological effect too in that people tend to feel better for having a good long walk and it is the best antidote to a mince pie known to man as tends to drop sugar steadily and help insulin work quickly.

I think its perhaps unappreciated?. Of course we are all different and even the fittest can be diabetic but there's something to be said for just getting out there and walking off that real or imagined overindulgence.

Reactions: NicoleC1971