My HbA1c is 9.5. How much insulin injection should i take?

sayathet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. I am a type 2 diabetics. My HbA1c is 9.5. Before the test, I had been taking medications (Glynase, Metformin, Galvus) and also injecting Long Acting Insulin (Glaritus) in about 20 units every night. But when the test come out that my HbA1c is 9.5, i don't know what to do anymore. How much insulin should I take to lower it? What kind of medications should i take too? My physicians are not very reliable. Any suggestions pls? Thank You.

Best Regards,
SayaThet

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I can only suggest talking to your physician about adding a second (Bolus) meal-time insulin to your (Basal) 24 hour insulin. The Basal/Bolus regime (sometimes called MDI Multiple Daily Injections) gives the best control if your pancreas is failing to produce enough insulin. Can I ask what your BMI is? If you are slim then it's possible you are actually a late onset T1. Do discuss this with the physician. He can do some tests if needed. Note that Glynase is a sulfonylurea drug which would not normally be used if you do move to Basal/Bolus so check that with the doc.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Can I ask what you normally eat?

Sometimes just lowering the amount of carbohydrates in your diet can make the drugs more effective.