My husband blood test is high regardless of metformin, diet control and excercise

Faithhope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,
My husband has been diagnosed with T2 diabetes recently, and on metformin for a day. He has changed his diet too and now exercising too, but his glucose level is not coming down. The reading is still around 14 before fasting and after breakfast and lunch within range of 17-19.

Any recommendation and suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Faithhope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you tell us what he is eating please?
He had chicken drumstick and salad in dinner on 11 nov 2020, lunch dumplings-7pcs home made and salad 12 nov, rice, curry, daal in dinner and today breaky was 1 multigrain bread and omlette.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Faithhope

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... on metformin for a day. ...
Don't expect immediate results. It can take up to 3 weeks for metformin to have the desired effect. It can also take a while to figure out the best diet and for exercise to help keep blood glucose down. Avoiding carbohydrate is a good starting point.

Reactions: Faithhope and ert

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
It's very early days for your husband, the medication won't be fully impacting yet. Reducing or eliminating the rice, dumplings and bread will help as they are all rather high in carbohydrates.

Faithhope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't expect immediate results. It can take up to 3 weeks for metformin to have the desired effect. It can also take a while to figure out the best diet and for exercise to help keep blood glucose down. Avoiding carbohydrate is a good starting point.
Thank you!! Would be careful with food, now.

Faithhope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's very early days for your husband, the medication won't be fully impacting yet. Reducing or eliminating the rice, dumplings and bread will help as they are all rather high in carbohydrates.
Yeah, will look into diet thread and try that has worked with others.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome - have a look at jokalsbeek nutritional thingy link above - very helpful - the way forward is defo low carb.