My husband has type 2, why won't he use a cooling case for insulin?

hglaser

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I have ADD and control it with meds, mostly, but today I got Upset that my husband will not even discuss using an insulin cooler, like Frio, on a hot day.
We always run our lives around returning to the refrigerator that holds the insulin.
Its a long drive from work to home and I would like like to do things with him at his work area like dinner. However, its not possible because he has to drive home first to take a shot. On hot days, he seems terrified that using a cooler will denature the insulin and gets very stressed. He says Im cruel even to ask him about it. I feel that I'm helping him to bring his insulin.

He says the only way he would cool his insulin and trust it to be ok is if there was a recording thermometer in the case that showed the insulin was at the right temperature all the time it was in the case. And he says no such device exists.

If I show him cooling kits that people with diabetes say they use and trust, he becomes angry and says Im being cruel to press the point.
I found the Frio wallets, which seem to be trustworthy and have approval from FDA, but he got angrier at me.

I thought a cooling case would give him independence with insulin to go and do stuff without worrying.
But he's so mad at me now that I cant even ask him

I got angry today - its in the 90s - and we had the whole discussion again, so stress way up.
1. Is there a pen insulin cooler he can use safely at 100 degrees F?
2. How come he stresses out when I talk about buying a cooling case
3. Should I just give up asking? I'd like to take car trips together but this is a major barrier

Please tell me the best way forward.
Holly

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Holly,

Why not get your husband to join this forum so he can be convinced he doesn't have to be a "slave to the fridge".. Though he is doing the right thing by keeping the isulin cool... ;)

If your husband is not the sort of guy who feels comfortable with the Internet, maybe share your user profile together with your spouse? So he feels he has a little control on discussion with other diabetics..
There are D guys and girls on here capable of having days, weekends & vactions away from the fridge on this forum without degradation of insulin & health. Maybe this can help to make you both happy?

Your husband just needs to be "captain on his own ship" as far as diabetic stuff is concerned. If we can help him directly? You may get that car trip??!

Wishing you both all the best!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Holly, could you suggest he asks his diabetic nurse about the Frio wallets? It's such a shame to be so dependent on a home fridge when there are workable alternatives.

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
There are very small fridges you can buy that plug into a car's 12v power supply.
Newer cars also have one in the boot.

Reactions: 2 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Insulin should be stored in the fridge but the pen which is in use can be out of fridge for up to 30 days. If its out of sun and any extreme heat it should be fine. If I had to keep my insulin in the fridge I wouldn't bother to leave the house. In fact, now on a pump, my insulin is in the pump, in extreme heat, close to my body and its fine.

Reactions: 6 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had those but they only worked when the engine was actually running.
There is such a thing as a "leisure battery" for vehicles & campers that can power "utilities" on a 12v system independent from the starter battery when the ignition is off.... The LB will take a charge with a "split charge relay" from the alternator while the engine runs when the starter battery has replenished from its pull on the crank over...

I feel like I'm back on the Jap import camper forum.. Lol Funny enough there are a few insulin dependant Ds on there too! ;):D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is such a thing as a "leisure battery" for vehicles & campers that can power "utilities" on a 12v system independent from the starter battery when the ignition is off.... The LB will take a charge with a "split charge relay" from the alternator while the engine runs when the starter battery has replenished from its pull on the crank over...

I feel like I'm back on the Jap import camper forum.. Lol Funny enough there are a few insulin dependant Ds on there too! ;):D

Yes I know, I have a camper with 2 leisure batteries and an inverter. But how many ordinary cars have a leisure battery installed?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I know, I have a camper with 2 leisure batteries and an inverter. But how many ordinary cars have a leisure battery installed?

A fair few with massive after market custom sound systems..? :rolleyes:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think Ewelina's point is the important one. Unopened insulin should be stored in the fridge. Cartridges and phials in use do not need to be stored in the fridge, indeed, this can make it uncomfortable to inject due to the temperature differential between the insulin and the body!

Reactions: 6 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I totally agree. Though it is advisable to keep it at an ambient temp conserably lower that the 91 Fahrenheit that is forecast.for the OP's location in Seattle today..:D

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. With pens you can keep the one currenlty in use for 4 weeks at room temperature. You only need to store unused ones in the fridge below 8 deg C

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He might simply not like the thought if change as we can be creatures of habit and the uncertainty if it all might be stressing him out

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I used my Frio all week last week on holiday, refreshing it each day, no spoilt insulin at all.

Ali