My injections have been painful recently

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I have been diabetic for about 10 years and understand about injection site rotation and replacing the needles etc, but recently my injections have been really painful and I always seem to bruise and I'm not sure why.

I have been doing more muscle exercises, so maybe that's it, but I don't know for sure... If this is true, what could I do to make the injections less painful? Is there a different technique I should be using?

Also what do you find are the best sites to use to inject?

Thank you guys :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi everyone,

I have been diabetic for about 10 years and understand about injection site rotation and replacing the needles etc, but recently my injections have been really painful and I always seem to bruise and I'm not sure why.

I have been doing more muscle exercises, so maybe that's it, but I don't know for sure... If this is true, what could I do to make the injections less painful? Is there a different technique I should be using?

Also what do you find are the best sites to use to inject?

Thank you guys :)
As a result of your training, has your body fat reduced? If it has, what length needles are you using?

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a result of your training, has your body fat reduced? If it has, what length needles are you using?

I haven't been doing excessive exercising, but enough to tone a little... I am using 6mm at the moment

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I haven't been doing excessive exercising, but enough to tone a little... I am using 6mm at the moment
The immediate response would be to get hold of some 4mm needles - you may find that this will make a big difference.

Reactions: 4 people

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Until you can get your hands on some shorter needles you may want to try injecting at a bit of an angle so you don't go as deep.

Reactions: 2 people

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Until you can get your hands on some shorter needles you may want to try injecting at a bit of an angle so you don't go as deep.

Thats a good idea, thank you :)

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As above said, try going from an angle.
Mine are always painful whenever put the needle in slowly, whenever I convince myself to do it quick it's never hurt

jakejayeden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Trying pinching the injection site with your other hand to create a (generic term) cushion of body fat. As above try shorter needles or injecting at an angle.

PD Oz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a bit late into this thread, but I was curious to find out about any discussion on this topic. I have been injecting with 6mm needles for nearly 18 months now since T1 diagnosis. While some people like to insert the needle quickly I tend to push it in slowly but as perpendicular to the skin site as possible. I have read that injecting around the stomach region is best because the insulin in received nearest to where it enters the blood stream normally. It gets to act faster from there so is best when in conjunction with a meal.

I rotate the sites regularly. Always below the navel line and never within about 5cm of it. Alternate sides in successive injections. Pinch up the skin gently with the left hand and inject the pen with the right. Important not to squeeze the skin too hard as that can hurt when the needle enters. If you look closely at the needle tip you can see the side with the point. I tend to let the side of the point gently push slightly to the side as the needle goes in. 99 times out of 100 no problem. Occasionally though I will get a sudden sharp sting. Sometimes though rarely I hit a small blood vessel which bleeds when withdrawing the needle. That is annoying as you can lose insulin in the bleed. I tend to avoid those spots where I remember getting bleeds.

I have at times injected in the thigh at night time with the long acting as that does not apparently get absorbed as quickly and better suited to long acting insulin.

Reactions: 2 people