My last hurdle is going to be tough

StephenFromScotland

lol,
I know i am going to get lectured here but this is the hardest thing i have yet to deal with in my diabetes.
At the momment I still smoke and I know I must give it up,been doing so for around 22 years:oops:.
I am finding this the most difficult thing to do and break the habbit and have been gearing myself up for a long time now,(probably too long!)But my aim is to go for it this monday so wish me luck.
Anyone else here still smoking?

ChocFish

Awww poor Stephen, please reduce stress by relaxing a bit more, working so hard, being the best Daddy ever, controlling diabetes and giving up smoking as well, you are driving yourself really hard? Maybe you can take it though, probably a whole lot tougher than I ever have been/will be.

I had to lose lots of weight, make some drastic life style changes and all that, and I learnt that if I had to give up anything it left a gap that I needed to fill, so for me it was treats like short trips abroad, long weekends, etc, hair extensions, perfumes, nail extensions and so on, hehehe I doubt any of those would work for you, but you get the idea, it makes it all a little bit less punishing, you wont feel quite so deprived maybe?

Only a suggestion there.

I saw your post in the other section re flaxseed oils, it will do all the family good to live without transfats, a wise move in the right direction you made there.

All the best

Karen

Challenges can be stumbling blocks or stepping stones, it depends how you view them

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Stephen,

I was a smoker for 46 years and was still smoking when I was diagnised T2 in 2002. Despite all the warnings that diabetic smokers have an increased chance of heart disease and are 6 times more likely than a diabetic non-smoker to need amputations, I still kept putting off giving up.

Then 2 years ago my GP surgery ran a stop smoking course and I joined. There were 12 in the group and all of us were very supportive of each other. Many had tried before but failed, but everyone seemed really determined. A few dropped out along the way but most of us stuck it out and completed the course. The final session was 2 weeks after we were supposed to have stopped and only to be attended by those who were still off the smokes. There were 5 of us, but the course leader reckoned that was a better than average success rate.

The next 3 months were probably the hardest of my life, but I stuck it out (with help from nicotine losenges) and the 5 of us met up in the pub regularly each week to report progress and to gee each other on. Finally after around 6 months I weaned myself off the losenges and have never looked back.

I won't tell you it will be easy, because it won't be. But when you have succeeded you won't believe the feeling of satisfaction you will experience.

Good luck.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Should have mentioned - I have been putting aside each week the amount I was spending on smokes. In March I will be using the cash to treat myself to a new car.

StephenFromScotland

Thanks everyone for being so supportive:oops:
I am determined to really give this a go and as for a car I realy (erm...my wife) could do with a new one:)
It is scary how much money it costs!

bluebird

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Grumpy folks and taking tablets
Hi

I've just looked at your little boy. What a delight it is heart lifting to see such a beautiful baby.

I too would like to give up smoking but keep putting if off. Every time I think today is the day then I give in to temptation. Let me know how you get on - I hope you succeed.

Regards Val

ChocFish

Awww bless - he is gorgeous, oh I am broody, I want another one before its too late!!!

Give him a big big cuddle from me

Karen

Challenges can be stumbling blocks or stepping stones, it depends how you view them

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
That's one handsome fella!

StephenFromScotland

awe thanks guys!
He is starting to get that cheeky mischeif look (doesn't take after me! lol)

Anyway between the diabetes and him im using that as the reason to quit smoking.

ThinType2

Hi Steph

I gave up seven years ago, (I'm ashamed to say I started when I was 12, mis-spent youth and all that!) I would like to say for health reasons but to be honest it was to do with vanity!!

One suggestion I would give for when you give up is moderate exercise, when I first gave up I took up swimming in my lunch break 2/3 times a week, it really helped with the stress and the exercise also kept my digestive system working OK (lots of smokers suffer with irritable bowel or constipation when they give up apparently as there are a number of stimulants in cigarettes that help you go!)

Everytime I fancied a cigarette I thought of my son who was coming into his teens, what example would I be setting him by risking my health on the weed???

Don't get me wrong I still get cravings now but they are not very often these days and only usually if I've been around someone smoking, funny enough its not when I'm actually with them its two to three days later!

Good luck with giving up, just think of all the money you will save and that smooth skin you'll have!